Is my cage large enough for my two baby pigs? (Photo)

YesImRachel

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Hi, I built this cage and am wondering if it looks large enough for my two baby male pigs. Don’t mind the beer box hides haha, they sure love them though. I have 2 of everything but some things were not in yet at the time of the photo. Image
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0-d2wCh ... _Oak_Ridge

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:17 am

What are the dimensions of the cage? It's certainly large enough for two baby pigs, but adult males need a good bit of territory -- eight square feet is the bare minimum, and larger is better. Much larger is much better.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:08 am

Can't see the photo.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:27 am

Yes it is, but you need to baby proof the grids. A baby pig can slip right out of the grid holes. Use cardboard to cover the bottom of the grids. The cardboard can be removed once they have gotten big enough. Also, make sure the grids are firmly fastened together. It's hard to tell from looking, but some of the grids look like they are not fastened very well together. Use more zip ties just to make sure.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:50 pm

It looks like it has been put together from a Midwest Habitat and some C&C grids so I would guess it is about 3x5 so roughly 15 square feet.

i woudl be tempted to add a second food bowl and Water bottle just so they dont fight over them

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Definitely add the second (or is it a third?) bowl and bottle.

YesImRachel

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:02 am

Hi, so do you guys think 15 sq ft is large enough? It is roughly 3x5. I can always expand it one more grid but they seem very happy running around it. They are not small enough to fit through any of the grids and it has cardboard lining the sides. Yes it is a Midwestern that I expanded on. I have 2 of everything in there now and added some cardboard tunnels that they absolutely love. I just wanted to make sure it’s large enough for them because I’m a real stickler with that kind of thing for my animals. This is my first custom cage. Thanks for all the help!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:46 am

That's a ideal size for two male pigs.