Young Cavy- First Time Owner- Skin Issue

Juliette

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi! My young male pig, Spike developed this nasty round, black spot on his back that first appeared a few days ago, and rapidly got larger. He is otherwise heathy, eating, and perky. He and his mate are not aggressive toward each other. Any idea what this could be? I sent an appointment request to an exotic vet this evening, so I'm hoping to get him in ASAP.

Thanks! Juliette

PS- I have pictures but can't seem to attach them- any suggestions appreciated, I'm usually pretty tech savvy :-)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Some information on skin issues here:
www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html

You can send a clear crisp picture or two to me to post. Don't forget to tell me what your board name is so it is easier to find your topic.

Juliette

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:52 pm

I've sent the photos, thank you! I did look at the lumps page, in fact that's how I found this group! I didn't see anything on there that I thought looked close enough to what is going on with him, especially the location.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:55 pm

Here is the picture you sent. If you are able to get a clearer one, that would be helpful.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:58 pm

This is the kind of issue I thought this might be at first. If it resembles this at all, it may need to be surgically removed.

Read also:
www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

Juliette

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:09 pm

I sent 2 photos that should be much clearer. Definitely does not look like that poor baby above, so that's good news. Maybe mites! His spot looks much more similar to those photos, just not as widespread. Thank you!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Juliette

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:21 pm

Thank you!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:56 pm

I'd assume fungus. I think if it were mites there would be more hair loss elsewhere, and the typical "V" pattern of the pig trying to bite at it.

That's bad enough that I don't think a shampoo will necessarily take care of it, but Lotrimin would be a good choice. Be sure to read that fungus link Lynx gave you.

Juliette

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:17 am

Good morning! We just got back from the vet, and they found fungus, bacteria, and lots of yeast on his back lesion, and also in one of his ears. They are running a culture for ring worm as well, but that will take up to 10 days for results. They sent us home with a topical Miconahex + Triz to apply 2x daily. Also advised not to separate him from his mate because if it's contagious, he's already exposed, and it will stress them out more than it would help. We have a follow up appointment on 1/28, but if it get's worse obviously bring him back sooner.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:54 pm

Here is a case with one guinea pig who had really bad issues - we never knew exactly what the cause was but with many treatments, it cleared up. Your guinea pig does not have this serious a case:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... p?f=1&t=96