Boar perpetually in "rut."

Gessika

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Is it possible for an unaltered boar to be in rut (or whatever the male term for "heat" is) for prolonged periods of time? I have a boar who is always rumbling around the cage when I interact with him and often tries to mount my hand. When he was at the vet about a month ago (mid December) the doctor noted that he was a bit greasy in the butt area and said that males are usually more sexually hyped up (not his actual words) in the spring.

There is another male pig in a cage in the same room but they can't see one another.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:46 pm

I don't know about the spring "rut," but you could put a couple of stuffed animals in his cage for him to interact with. Just be sure there aren't any button eyes or noses on them, and that there's nothing that will easily ravel that he could ingest.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:32 pm

I've had males that were chronic 'humpers' and others who didn't seem to have much libido. How old is he?

Gessika

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:11 pm

He's a rescue, but his estimated age has him a year old last September.

Gessika

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 pm

He also has a complicated medical history and is chronically ill, so I suppose any number of things could be in play here beyond just an atypical libido.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:56 am

Very possible. I like the idea of the stuffed toy. I would also mention that one of our chronic humpers had an issue with "boar glue" clogs that required me to check his penis occasionally.

Kimera

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:02 pm

I have had a couple of hormonal teenage boars who humped everything, even folds in their blankets:). I don't think they care much whether the toy resembles any animal, as long as it is the right size, is soft and doesn't run away :). You can provide your boar with a cushion or two.
Normally a year old boar is much more stable hormonally and does not have anything like a periodical rut.