New piggy into existing pair, help plz

Kconn529

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:01 pm

Hi all, I'm new to this site as I stumbled upon it while googling and I'm glad I did. I apologize for the length in advance, I just don't want to miss anything.

I currently have two OG females, Dayna and Alayna. Alayna was a lone pig for about two months (we went into PetSmart with NO intention of leaving with anything other than fish food, saw poor Alayna in a 10 gallon fish tank and just couldn't leave her there despite never having had a pig before), then we got Dayna. Currently Alayna is 21 months old while Dayna is 11 months. When first introduced, Alayna quickly became the dominant pig and things have been alright. There was no fighting, just Alayna throwing her considerable weight around and Dayna accepting it. They don't bicker or actively avoid each other but they aren't necessarily friends, if that makes sense, they just sort of co-exist. They each do their own thing and if Alayna comes near, Dayna will walk away. Dayna is not a people piggy so we found Snuffleupagus thinking maybe a younger pig could be a friend to her, since Alayna had always seemed like a bit of a loner, and brought her home. Snuffy is 8 months old.

We did the quarantine period and within the last week and a half Snuffy's smaller cage has been pushed close to the main mansion so they can 'talk' and smell each other. We have done two introductions so far and neither went well. We used the bathroom as a neural space. The first time, Snuffy went straight to Alayna who, in turn, puffed up and started chattering her teeth. Snuffy smelled her then turned to eat some hay, Alayna then started sniffing her butt. It quickly turned into a face off and ended with a tuft of Alayna's fur in Snuffy's mouth. No blood was drawn but neither would back down and quite honestly, it happened so fast I'm not sure what exactly happened. We separated for the evening with the intent to try again the next day.

Next day, same thing except it was Dayna facing off with Snuffy and a clump of her hair in Snuffy's mouth. Dayna is usually VERY mild mannered and defers to Alayna in all things. During this introduction, however, she would not stand down and they both stood face to face with their chins raised until Dayna lunged and Snuffy retaliated. Both times Snuffy didn't really do much except walk around, try to sniff butts, and munch on some hay. She wasn't very affected by the presence of the other two yet they were very obviously bothered by her and were the aggressor in both cases. Alayna trying to mount, Dayna sniffing her bum, all the normal things until the fur started flying.

I feel badly because it very much seems like Snuffy is interested in being with the other two yet everytime they see/sniff her their teeth started going and they turn into fluff balls and start strutting around their cage while Snuffy runs into her snuggle sac.

I'm unsure what to do. I did thoroughly wash all blankets, the cage, snuggle sacs, water bottles, etc, etc and did bathe both OG piggies as they were due anyway and rearranged the cage but I'm afraid to put them in the cage together because it gets VERY tense and fur flies on neutral ground, I can't imagine how it'd be in Alayna's territory. She gets mad when Snuffy so much as looks in the direction of her cage and will puff up/start chattering her teeth if Snuffy puts her nose into the cage from hers. Dayna is constantly sniffing Snuffy when the cages are put together, doesn't puff up or chatter her teeth and seems interested yet, I put them on the floor together and she gets upset. We have a large 7ft by 8ft cage with two levels, two ramps, multiple hidey boxes/tubes/huts, each pig has their own water bottle and food bowl as well as their own bowl for picnic time. Hay is abundant with foraging material mixed in.

I can't exactly go out and get a 4th pig in hopes she's can be put with Snuffy and I'd feel horrible if I've brought her home only to doom her to a life alone, in the sight of other pigs. Should we keep trying these introductions? Should I try one on one instead of two on one? I know most of this behavior is normal and I've read that if there is no blood, to leave them be...did I do the wrong thing by seperating them when the fur started getting bitten off? My thought was instead of fur, blood will be next.

Thank you to anyone who may offer advise, it's much appreciated.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:10 pm

The general rule is, don't separate unless there IS bloodshed. Nipping doesn't count.

About the cage... What's the largest flat space they've got without ramps? Ramps and hideys with only one door are just invitations for one pig to trap another and get into a serious squabble. So they need a large place with no cage furniture to live in until they're thoroughly used to each other. You can hang some strategically-placed pieces of fleece to break up the sight lines. Put a bunch of piles of foods and hay around, as well as multiple water bottles.

It may help to give them a buddy bath, all together. The shared terror may make their hearts grow fonder! And when you put them in the cage, put a tiny drop of vanilla on everybody's nose and butt.

When you introduce them, do it when you've got hours to give to it. Don't rush it at all. The last time I introduced a singleton to a pair, it was 11 hours before I thought it was safe for me to go to bed.

This may help: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Kconn529

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:02 pm

The lower area of their cage is 7x8' flat, the upper area is smaller. Two ramps and most things have two exits but I'll take all of them out to try and hang some fleece as you suggested.

I'll try again once I get the kids off to school tomorrow and have all day, I appreciate your response. When the fur came off, I panicked but I'll just let them figure it out :)

Thanks!!