Do guinea pigs become less skittish with age?

Oreoandnugget

Post   » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:35 pm

I’ve been wondering if guinea pigs become less skittish with age. I’ve searched this site and done a lot of research on other reliable piggie sites, but really haven’t found a satisfactory answer. I realize that every pig is different, but I don’t understand why I see all these completely un-afraid pigs in YouTube videos. I will say as a disclaimer that my pigs are all under a year of age; I know younger pigs have more energy. We have a seven month old who will stand still to be picked up and comes to the bars of her cage for treats. The majority of mine like lap time and most give kisses. So I’m not complaining, but if I see another internet video where someone’s pig is following them around like a dog, I’m going to scream. Any thoughts or experience on this topic? My pigs just seem completely unlike what I see elsewhere.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:08 am

Once they trust you, you are in for a treat. Some will never stop running, it's their instinct, but that does not mean that they can't love you to bits. I had pigs who gave up running away fairly soon, and I had pigs where The Force Was Strong In That One till the end, who always flew away as soon as they saw us coming near. I had pigs who took off rocket speed, but in mid flight, their brain took over and they stopped dead in their tracks, as they knew we are to be trusted.

That said, stating clearly what your intentions are before coming close, doing it consequently [consistently], with simple words, does help a lot. They can learn words fast if you maintain this correctly.

Also, they can be extremely great at non verbal communication, if you take time to learn the signs.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 am

Out of the over dozen pigs I've had, not one has followed me around. The closest I had was Eclair, who would come around to check up on me from time to time. I, too, am jealous of the people who have very interactive pigs.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Our 3 will gather around my feet if they think I have food, particularly wheatgrass, but wont follow us around.

Yours sound less skittish than ours as they really dont like being picked up, although they are gradually getting better. We dont get kisses from them either. They will let us pet them but not all the time. When we do pick them up they will nip (although not hard) to let us know they woudl prefer us to put them back down.

The main indicator I had of their trust though, despite their skittishness, was when I had to take Suzi (the most skittish of our 3) in to the vet and leave her there for X-rays. When I came to pick her up after and the vet put her on the examination table she ran over to me and snuggled up to my belly (The table was waist height) and kept looking at me as if to say "Please dont leave me with that person again daddy". However when I got her back home she went back to being her normal quirky and skittish self.

I know the wife and daughter get dismayed by seeing how interactive and friendly others piggies can be on YouTube videos but I think it just takes time and trust and varies from piggy to piggy.

I am not sure if picking them up more helps by getting them acclimatized to it or hinders by scaring and making them more skittish.

If it helps any our 3 girls are completely unlike any that we see elsewhere too.

Oreoandnugget

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Your replies are heartening. It must be 1 in one million pigs who act like those in the videos. I also am frustrated with people who say, “It might be MONTHS until your pigs trust you.” Months? How about YEARS? 😂 I’ll just keep trying. Once again, I’m happy with our progress - just wondering when one of them will stand still, look up at me adoringly, and wheek to be held.

lisam

Post   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:09 pm

Yeah, most pigs don't act like that. Maybe those pigs in the videos aren't picked up very often? Like my free range bunnies--they would follow you and jump over you and sit next to you and take treats from you, but just try to pick one up and they were out of there lickety split.

In my experience, though, some pigs will settle down as they age. Some never won't.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 pm

Even our friendliest guinea pig, Zachary, ran like a maniac any time I wanted to pick him up. Once being held, though, he was perfectly happy and clearly enjoyed being held. Amos is the same way. He'll actually come up to the front of his cage to have his head petted (one of the few of ours who have done that), but the minute I try to pick him up, the chase is on!

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:26 am

I remember Zachary!

I think it depends on the pig. Pepsi was always very hyper, even until she died around age two, however she had adrenal issues.

Pepino seems to have mellowed with age (the vet refers to him as "chill") and so has Pellegrino, but Pepino will probably always be the more "chill" of the two.