What's going on with my girls??

Blueyesily

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:23 am

Report this post

So I have two piggies I bought from Petco (didnt know about adoption before this, I'm nee here! My next piggy will be adopted) named Hornet (3 months old and very small. Loves to snuggle) and Willow (energetic 4 month old) and I introduced them to eachother two days ago in a play pen in the livingroom for about 3 hours. They seemed to get along well. and snuggle together at night in their cage. But I noticed that Willow keeps running up behind Hornet and bumping her butt with her nose, and cutting her off while she walks. She also takes the food Hornet is eating and eats it herself. Willow also (this is what it looks like) head butts Hornet or nips her. She also lifts her head up like shes sniffing the air. I am a new Cavy owner and I keep hearing these little high noises when they interact. Is this a cry for fear or excitement? Do they get along

Garima goel

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:37 am

My cavy,scoob,is a one year old male. Last night we noticed that his jaw is dislocated and his right side cheek is swelled due to that. Today we took him to the vet and she told us to give him this medicine called bayrocin 50mg we have to divide the tablet into six parts and feed him one part in the morning and one in the evening(as per the instructions). We weighed him and he weighs 700 gms. The vet said to give him this med for 3-4 days and soft foods. She says that the jaw will relocate as soon as the inflammation reduces. I feel that scoob will need a physiotherapist to relocate his jaw manually along with the medications prescribed. Please give ur suggestions,thankyou

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:53 am

@Garima Goel, you have a thread on your pig, which will be your medical thread for that pig as long as it lives. Please don't post information about it other places, especially on other peoples' threads.

@Blueyesily, the behavior sounds normal. But have you turned them over and compared their private parts to be sure they're the same sex? If not, please separate immediately, as labor and delivery are very hard on guinea pig sows and pups, and the death rate is high.

Also, how large is their cage? No pet store cage is really large enough for two pigs after they've grown to adulthood.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:25 am

Information on sexing here, with links to other sites and good identification information:
www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

Blueyesily

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:36 pm

So Willow is surely a girl. I checked. Hornet has generals that look super similar. But smaller. She is only a month younger. So that could explain it.
Thankfully that sounds normal. Hornet is super lovey and wants snuggles. super comfortable around people. Willow is skittish and high energy and loves to play. I was worried for hornet who doesnt like to play as much. Again new guinea pig owner so was concerned.
For noise, little tiny noises almost like a mumble are ok?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:50 am

Do double and triple-check the sex of both. Pet stores are notorious for getting it wrong.

Wealth of information for the new (and not-so-new) guinea pig owner can be found here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

Blueyesily

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:05 am

My guinea pig Hornet, died at 2 months old due to a bowl obstruction today. I give them oxbow hay, and sunburst food. I'm at a loss. Heartbroken.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:13 am

I'm sorry she died. How did you determine it was a bowel obstruction?

Could she have eaten something else, like bedding?

But Sunburst is very poor guinea pig food. They should have hay pellets with no nuts, seeds, or colored bits added. Guinea pigs have very narrow throats, and they can easily choke on hard materials.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:55 am

I am so sorry you lost her. You have our sympathy.

Blueyesily

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:54 am

It was a bowl obstruction via the small animal vet and her xrays. I have a new guinea pig named Birch who loves my other so much.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:06 pm

I'm confused. Are you saying that you just got another guinea pig and have already put that one with Willow? Too late now, I suppose, but especially if you're still getting guinea pigs from a pet store, you should always quarantine a new pig to monitor for any health issues/parasites, etc. that your existing pet could be exposed to:
https://www.guinealynx.info/quarantine.html