Tips for caring for babies needed

C00kie
nom nom nom

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:26 pm

Long story short a friend of a friend had an accidental litter and threatened to do something cruel if she couldn’t get rid of the babies quickly. So here I am with two babies, both a week old. I’d imagine they should’ve been kept with their mother longer but separation was necessary to ensure their safety.

I know that regular grids are too big for them and they need the coroplast higher. I know that I should give alfalfa hay and pellets made with alfalfa. That’s honestly about all I know.

Do they get the same serving size of pellets that adults get? Do they need a specific type of bedding or is regular carefresh or aspen shavings safe? Any advice anyone has to give would be extremely appreciated.

I’m also going to be attempting to sex them on a regular basis until I’m sure of their sexes so I can separate if necessary. I’ve already looked over the guinealynx page on sexing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:20 pm

There are some links on that sexing page to some other great sexing pages too.

You don't have to get alfalfa hay if you have alfalfa pellets. If you are not now, start weighing daily to ensure they are getting enough food. You might even consider doing a stiff mix of Critical Care and putting small balls of it on a plate.

More info on the weights you will expect if the develop normally:
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:35 pm

I wouldn't give alfalfa hay, just the pellets. Timothy or orchard grass hay. Hay and pellets free choice (out for them all the time). Care fresh or shavings are fine.

Oh, some brands of pellets are smaller, and easier for babies. I believe Oxbow is the smallest size pellet.

Do you have an adult or two to put them with? Babies learn from the adults around them.

C00kie
nom nom nom

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:29 pm

@Lynx I’ll weigh daily and start critical care if they aren’t putting on enough weight. As for the sexing I‘ve been looking at every resource I can find over and over again and I’m still having a little trouble. I’m thinking one is male and one is female but this is something I obviously do not want to get wrong. Would it be okay to add photos to this thread to get a second or third

@lisam I currently am using oxbow pellets so I’m glad to hear they’re the easiest for the babies. I have an adult male I could house them with but I believe the one baby is female and the other I’m not 100% sure is male so I don’t think I should risk it.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:06 pm

Just make sure it is the regular Oxbow Pellets. The"Oxbow Garden Select" ones are larger.

lisam

Post   » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:44 pm

Since they are only a week old, they will be fine with either sex until they are 3 weeks of age.

Kimera

Post   » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:46 am

Actually, boars usually are very good nannies, so you shouldn't worry about putting the pups with him, regardless of their sex. Young females will be safe for at least a month. After that, she should be placed with a female, or preferrably, a group of females, to learn how to behave in a herd.

GUINEAP1225

Post   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:49 am

When our Piggie had babies (we adopted a prego one and her sister) we gave momma alfalfa to help her nurse but the babies preferred Timothy if you get pellets made from alfalfa. Also you shouldn’t have to bottle feed them becuase they can start eating once they can move around, most people just keep them with their mommas because they are normally healthier. You should be able to tell if they are girls or boys by 3-4 weeks. Just press on a little ridge on their stomach above their “private area” you should be able to tell of it is a girl or boy when you do that😳 best wishes!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:40 am

Bottle feed? We have never recommended bottle feeding ever.

Ill guinea pigs or guinea pigs that are not eating can be syringe fed if necessary. Baby guinea pig are very precocious and can generally eat on their own pretty much immediately.

Weigh the mother and pups daily once the pups are born to ensure they are getting enough to eat.
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

JX4

Post   » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:17 pm

I ditto everything and stress putting them with at least one adult. They need the adult to learn normal guinea pig behavior and it also helps them not to stress out.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:40 am

Ditto -- I've never heard of bottle feeding a baby guinea pig, and that's not advice we would give on this forum.

Information on sexing baby guinea pigs can be found here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html