Can more than 2 males be housed together

Sam88

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi everyone. Unfortunately I lost my boy Marshall tonight leaving Chase by himself. I have 3 girls living happily together, two 10 week old boys living together, and that just leaves Chase.
As I already have my fair share of guineapigs, I'm wondering if it may be possible for Chase to live with my other two boys.
I have heard that housing more than two males together will cause a lot of fighting, so don't want to try if this is always the outcome.
If needs be I will take him speed dating at my local rescue to find him a friend.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:26 pm

There are links to tips for having males together on this page:
www.guinealynx.info/companionship.html

You would need a huge cage. Putting three males together will depend on the personalities of each (it is tougher to make it work) - and you may find the original pair start hating each other (everything ends up disrupted). Odds are much better with two. A spayed female would work too. You could also neuter him and try him with the girls in a really big cage.

Sam88

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks for the advice, I think I would rather find him a male companion to live happily with rather than putting him through an anaesthetic. I'll get in touch with the rescue.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:59 pm

That sounds like the best solution. I have never been able to keep more than 2 males together for any length of time. I know there are guinea pig owners who have been able to do this successfully, but it's not the norm and it definitely requires a very large amount of space. Even then there is no guarantee that everybody will get along.

I'm sorry that you lost Marshall. Best of luck to you...I hope you can find Chase another buddy.