To Neuter, or not to neuter

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:02 pm

He was from a reputable source but we’ll give him a few more days just to be safe :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:07 pm

Sounds good. Congrats on getting a new family member, and don't forget to post a pic when you get a chance. ;)

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:13 pm

Introductions between S’mores and spooky did not go great at all. We penned off a huge section of hallway for them to meet with lots of treats, and they spent hours trying to dominate each other. They would not settle down. They had a few little fights but no blood so we just watched. Finally we had to go to bed so we put them in a cleaned cage with a divider for several days so they could see and smell each other but not fight.

After a few days when they seemed calm and used to each other we took out the divider. They were good for a day and then had a huge fight and blood was drawn from both. Spooky got a cut above and below his eye, S’mores got a cut on his mouth and two on his back. (Both were minor) So we separated them.

We instead introduced S’mores to Halloween. After 5 minutes of mounting and rumble-strutting from S’mores he realized Halloween didn’t care who was boss and they were best buds. They were already in side by side cages so we moved S’mores into Halloween’s cage and no issues at all. I had wanted to keep Halloween separate cuz of his health issues but Spooky is just too much of a bully.

Spooky spends a lot of his day chewing his cage bars on their side trying to get to them, but that’s as close as he gets to be for now.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:36 pm

Some Guinea Pigs just aren't meant to share a habitat with other guinea pigs. My two just cannot be together without a physical barrier to separate them. My suspicion, given their personalities is that Mr. Bubbles, the American is the problem. He's a bit fickle when he's being held and he gets defensive over things a lot easier than Scruffy, especially when I'm holding him and someone or something comes into his space. Scruffy is an Abyssinian and is very easy going about everything.

Mr. Bubbles is substantially larger and heavier than Scruffy and could inflict serious damage if he ever got ahold of him, so it's separate cages for both permanently. As I've said before, their cages are butted together so they can interact on a limited basis, but they can't get at each other. It works well. They eat, drink and play together through the wires all the time and are content with the arrangement.

You can leave your aggressive, unsociable one in his separate cage the same way I have to and as long as he can see, hear, smell and communicate in the guinea pig way with the other two, he shouldn't feel isolated or alone. You can also increase his lap and floor time to offset having to be in a cage by himself if he starts to feel depressed.

Bottom line is that you have to become his cage mate, so to speak.

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:29 am

Funny - Your bubbles sounds so much like our Spooky (also an American) He’s the biggest pig I’ve ever had and totally fickle and defensive. S’mores is also an Abyssinian and much more laid back.

Spooky has a house he sits on to watch the other two. Hoping when he’s older he’ll mellow out a little.