Boar Trio

LizNaq

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:26 pm

I have three male piggies. I know three males isnt a good idea, and im not planning on housing them together from the get go, im just going to separate the pair from the single one with a couple of grates so they can interact but not fight if thats a possibility. Im wanting to know my chances here of them getting along and what might trigger a fallout or what to look out for before that happens. They’re all over a year old, like a year and a few months. Two of them are very submissive, and one likes to hump occasionally, so he might be the dominant one. They’re all very laid back and friendly. So what are my odds of them staying together if I ever take the grates away and let them live together? Tips and advice? What could I do to make this easier for them or make it more likely for them to get along? I really think theyll be one of the rare cases where a boar trio gets along, but I want to hear some advice. Thank you!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Your odds aren't good that they will get along. They might -- a very few people have made it work. But it most ends in failure.

But whatever you do, don't just "take the grates away" and let them interact. You'll need to introduce them in a large neutral area, at a time when you've got hours to give to it, and then put them in a thoroughly cleaned area that smells nothing like any of the pigs. See https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for how to go about it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:18 pm

You'd need a large amount of space for the three to live together, and even then it's doubtful that it would work long-term. A few here have done it successfully, but it's definitely not the norm. I once had three males who managed to live together semi-peacefully for a week or so in a 2 x 6 C&C (two adult males and a slightly younger boar), but then two of them started ganging up against the other and there was a pretty vicious attack. That was my one and only trio attempt.