Palm-leaf/bambu disposable plates?

Mizz P

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:33 pm

Hello! I am new to the forum and haven't been able to find anything on this topic. Does anyone have any information (i.e., facts) regarding the acceptability of disposable palm-leaf plates (also called "Bambu") as a guinea pig chew item? These are a slightly more durable, yet not re-usable alternative to old-school paper plates. I have a friend that lets her rabbit chew/eat them and wonder if it is ok to let my g.p. do the same. It's basically a food-grade, compostable leaf-fiber material that has no glues, dyes, or waxes. I haven't made them available to my g.p. yet, but it seems like something he would really go crazy for. Thanks!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:01 pm

There is a website that sells something similar for rabbits and guinea pigs, but the name escapes me at the moment. I used to buy them for our boys, but they were a little expensive and our guys at the time weren't all that interested in them. They were supposedly safe for small animals. I'll see if I can find that site and you can see if they look like the same thing.

Any of the older members here happen to recall? I used to list it on my website.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:15 pm

Found it!
https://www.creativebirdtoys.com/produc ... ab5pkg.htm

They are also sold separately on page 4 of that site:
https://www.creativebirdtoys.com/produc ... upflwr.htm

Looking at them, now, I don't think these are the same ones she used to sell. I thought they were sold as actual bowls, and I thought the description said that they were bamboo. These look like like they might be some sort of paper, unless I'm just not seeing it.

Mizz P

Post   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi, Sef1268 - Thanks for the super-prompt reply! I agree, that these appear to be some sort of paper. Also, I'm not worried about the price of them at all, just trying to find something that my little guy will chew on other than un-bleached cardboard. Variety is the spice of life - even a g.p.! I'm anxious to see if anyone else has had experience with letting their g.p. chew on this stuff.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:45 am

Mine did chew on them a little, as I recall. Mainly I think I gave up on the plates because they got soiled so quickly.

I have purchased other products from 'Creative Bird Toys' in the past. The lady who runs it is very careful about source and sustainability of materials, and safety. She has a huge following among bird owners in particular. You might take a look through the rest of her website and see if there's anything else of interest. As I'm typing this, I do recall that she had mentioned something about the bamboo plates being discontinued from her trusted source. I don't know where she got them, though. If you have a source, I'd say to give them a try and let us know what you think.

(ETA: Tip on that website...there are multiple product pages per category, but the navigation is not very intuitive, and you have to either click on the page number at the top, or click on the green bird at the bottom.)

Mizz P

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:00 am

I see that website has a bamboo paper cone that is to be stuffed with critter/bird treats. I can easily see my guy going nuts over that cone. I'll see if I can find something similar and give it a go and see what he does with it.

Very interesting site, lots of well thought-out items. I wouldn't have thought that the plastic chain would be appropriate for a g.p., though.

I'll update about the bamboo paper if I can find anything locally.

Best,
MizzP