Brytin Probiotic

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:38 am

Has anyone tried this particular probiotic?

Probiotic

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:53 am

Nope, and I wouldn't, as it doesn't list what is actually in it, and there is not much variation of bacteria.

I use a human probiotic for Binky, one that contains various types of gut bacteria. I started with a daily dosage till his poo started smelling normal, as soon as he arrived here. He had the worst smelling poo I ever encountered, and his farts could topple you over, wew!! I blame it on the bird seed type of food he was fed.

Once the smell was gone, he's on a weekly dosage only. If I forget, the smell starts to come back slowly, by the way. I use the leftover of the pill myself, which benefits me too, as I only offer Binky as much as fits on top of a syringe. I dissolve a pill in 20 cc of water and dip the syringe top in it, scooping up a little.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:49 am

I'd like to know more about it. It's the first one I've seen aimed at small furry critters, and it only seems reasonable to me that they would need a different probiotic than the ones humans take.

It does list the ingredients:

Pediococcus acidilactici NRRL B-50517 and
Saccharomyces boulardii ……………………. 1.0+ billion CFU’s*
*Colony Forming Units

Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, lactose, dried apple pomace, dried apples, brewers dried yeast, dried and pitted plums, dried pineapple, maltodextrin, yeast extract, corn oil, silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:11 pm

I thought it looked interesting. They also make a vitamin C tablet.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:22 am

I contacted the company to see if they could give me a little more information on their probiotic product. Received a lengthy email back from the general manager yesterday, and I asked if he would be willing to let me post his response here verbatim (have not yet heard back). Some of it is a little over my head, but it's interesting and I'd like to get others' "take" on it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:25 pm

The General Manager for Brytin emailed me back, giving me permission to reprint the following response to my question about their probiotic product:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding Brytin TheraBiotic 2X.

The probiotic used in Brytin TheraBiotic 2X (B2X to abbreviate) is the same probiotic used in human formulations. This patented pediococcus acidilactici / saccharomyces boulardii probiotic formula holds 6 patents for human use, including one for its heat resistant properties, and one for use in patients on immune suppressing drugs. B2X has some strong advantages over other probiotics. B2X is heat resistant, it can survive in both aerobic and anaerobic environments, and it can survive the stomach's acidic environment and pass into the small intestines where it is needed most. Additionally, B2X also contains prebiotics (the food that probiotics need to survive) so that animals who are off feed can get the full benefit of the probiotic.

Brytin LLC researched the best possible probiotics for use in small animals, and we feel strongly that this is the best one on the market. It is suitable for use for any small mono-gastric (one stomach) animal.

We also own Chinchillas.com, and we use this probiotic on the chinchillas we show, and that we export over long distances. We needed to find a way to help our chinchillas stay healthy during the stress of travel, and after arrival in a new county where they would be exposed to pathogens they had little or no previous immunity to. The probiotics in B2X are both immune boosters and 'competitive inhibitors,' which means they starve out pathogens by consuming the food that a pathogen would need to survive. Giving competitive inhibitors to your small animal is like sending in troops to 'eat all of the opposing army's food.' The good organisms starve out the bad ones.

Pediococcus acidilactici is especially effective when paired with Saccharomyces boulardii, which is one of the reasons we chose to use this specific combination.
"Pediococcus acidilactici in conjunction with Saccharomyces boulardii stimulates humoral immune
response to produce higher Eimeria-specific antibody levels while also reducing the number of oocysts
shed by possible competitive inhibition and pediocin production which inhibit pathogenic bacteria and
other gram-positive spoilage. [1, 2]" (see reference article attached).
I requested a sample; will post an update once I've had a chance to take a look at it.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:35 am

The only worry I have is the amount of apple regarding bloat, and not so keen on added pineapple, as it contains bromelain, which can interact with medications and cause allergies too. Not so keen on them adding lactose for piggies either.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:15 am

I have emailed the company back with these comments/questions. I would assume that the amount of apple and pineapple is very small and primarily for flavoring, but I'll find out. I hadn't noticed the lactose ingredient before, though, and agree that is a little concerning in a product marketed for herbivores. I'll see what they have to say about it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:43 pm

Update: I received a response back from the company regarding the fruit and lactose ingredients:
Thank you for your concern with our probiotic tablet. Natural fruit flavoring is added to our tablet to enhance the tablet’s palatability, but the level of the combined fruit flavoring in one 0.5 g tablet is less than 0.05 g and therefore, will not cause any negative health issues when fed to your guinea pig.

Lactose is present in a trace amount. Lactose allows the probiotics to stay in a dormant state in the tablet. It acts as the carrier of the probiotics. It not only helps to stabilize the probiotics, but it can also be used as the food source for the probiotics once consumed. We and many veterinarians feed rabbits, guinea pigs, and horses with the Pediococcus probiotics routinely, and have not experienced any allergy-related side effects.
I received samples of both their vitamin C tablets and the probiotics yesterday, and will be testing them with a couple of our guys to see if they like the taste/will eat them readily and whether or not I notice any issues with using either product.