Philadelphia Area GP Rescues Currently Operating?

MuffinTopRescue

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:27 am

Hey everybody!

I've been working for the last two months to get ready to start up my own Guinea Pig rescue based out of the Philadelphia area (Delaware County specifically, but with a satellite location in West Philadelphia.) The website is set to launch this weekend. We are currently set up to be able to handle 40 fuzzies, with the hope to double that within six months!

My one question is... I'm having a bit of trouble determining what existing rescues are in the area. I believe that the largest one serving our area, Have a Heart, shut down permanently in 2017. The only one I can find any trace of is in Hareleysville, PA, a town located an hour outside of the city. I've sent the person who runs it an email without reply, so I'm going to keep trying.

Obviously I want to be in touch with all the local rescues (and shelters) so that we can work together to figure out who can best handle cases that come up based on location.

About me: 40 years old, having had pigs as pets for the past 15 years.

If anyone can help me figure out what other rescues are up and running in the area I would be most grateful! Google is being...let's say resistant... in giving me useful information.

Thanks a bunch, and if it's ok, once the website launches this weekend I'll post the link and more info about us here?

Happy Wheekin' Spring!

<3 Jim & Mallowmar

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi!
I don't know if this helps or not, but a search on Petfinder for your location yielded these results.

MuffinTopRescue

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:15 pm

sef1268 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:35 pm Hi!
I don't know if this helps or not, but a search on Petfinder for your location yielded these results.
Thank you, that did help me find a rescue in New Jersey that I didn't know about! It's essentially an hour in the opposite direction, so if you were to take my rescue, that rescue and the one I knew about in rural PA, it would draw kind of a beautiful triangle over the tri-state metro area!!!

Tracy

Post   » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi. Just came across this and wanted to ask if you (or anyone) knows good piggy vets in the Philly area. I've lived here about 2 years now, and it just doesn't seem like a piggy place -- they're not in shelters and not many exotic vets around. MuffinTop, have you lived in Philly area during the 15 years you've had pigs? Where do you go for vet care? Thanks

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:35 pm

I know GuineaPinny lives in Philly now and still has guinea pigs. She hasn't posted here in a while. I keep up with her on Facebook. You could try emailing her through the GL mailer or I could try sending her a Facebook message.