Any good lotions?

xgumbox

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:14 pm

My piggy Chomp has had some pretty bad dry skin since I got him, and I ruled out mites a long time ago because he doesn't have any hair loss.

He's about 3 now, and I've been looking for some moisturizers for him, but my problem is that he's an Abyssinian piggy, so I don't know how I would get around his big fluffy self.

Any remedies or tips? :)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:02 pm

Does he scratch? Mites don't always cause hair loss.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:23 pm

Ditto bpatters. Also, dry, flaky skin can be a symptom of lice. Have you looked very closely at his hair to make sure there aren't any tiny parasites moving slowly up and down the hair shafts? They actually look very similar to dandruff.

xgumbox

Post   » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:07 pm

He scratches every so often, but it's not to the point where it's alarming. I've looked at his hair and I was very paranoid of him having mites, but I've only seen a flake move once, and that was because I was moving his hair around.
For whatever reason, the idea of lice never popped into my head. Not really sure what it is at this point, but I can double check for lice!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:34 pm

If he has lice, he'll have nits. They're lice eggs, and they're stuck to a hair shaft. You can't flick them off, you have to slide them off the end of the hair.

xgumbox

Post   » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:46 pm

So I checked his skin again and compared it to some other pictures of lice on guinea pigs, and it looked nothing like it. I looked at him for a while to see if any of it moved too, but every little skin flake stayed in place. It doesn't look like it bothers him, and it doesn't look too extreme either, just looks like dandruff.
I'll look up some more things that could be up with him

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:47 pm

It could just be dry skin. A lot of people swear by Gorgeous Guineas products: http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/index.html

BZoo

Post   » Tue May 07, 2019 8:10 am

If it is just dry skin, there is probably a food or supplement that would work better than a lotion. I'm sure someone here has a good answer for that. When my goats get dry skin, black oil sunflower seeds work very well (time to get some again). But I don't think piggies can eat those. The goats eat 'em whole, shell and all.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue May 07, 2019 8:48 pm

I was also going to suggest Gorgeous Guineas. I had an abby years ago that got scurffy from time to time and I used one of her melts on him.