Diet

Kristal

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 1:21 am

Would you say it is safe/healthy for a guinea pig to eat lettuce and carrots on a daily basis?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 5:55 am

Red leaf and green leaf, yes. Some romaine lettuce is ok, but be careful and don't give them romaine lettuce every day. Iceberg lettuce is a no-go. It has too much water and zero nutrients. Carrots are not good as part of their daily diet, but they can be given periodically. I give mine a baby carrot once a week.

You can use this guide for dietary information:

https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 6:11 am

Carrots are sugar bombs for piggies. Some people will feed them daily but we use them as a treat/enrichment.

The diet guide has some good suggestions for daily veg. Lettuce is important, but small amounts of other veg like tomato, bell pepper, etc. are also good for getting extra vitamins in.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 10:20 am

It is a misconception that carrots are high in sugar. But they are a dense food.
See www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 2:03 pm

It’s dandelion season here and I know they are on the food chart to be fed a few times a week since the calcium/phosphorus ratio is higher. But how much is one serving? If the leaves are about 3-4” long, how many can she have?

Kristal

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 5:25 pm

Thanks. I knew not to give them iceberg lettuce but I'm grateful for the insite on the romaine and carrots. Thanks everyone

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Do read the link on diet. Are you also feeding a quality pellet and unlimited hay?