Housing... issues

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 15, 2019 11:27 pm

Staying in a hidey can be loneliness or boredom, but it could also be a sign of illness. Is he eating, drinking and pooping normally? Otherwise bright and alert? If he is separated by a divider and can see/hear/smell the females, I'd expect more interest and interaction.

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Sat May 18, 2019 4:19 am

It's really weird but Buster LOVES Kitchen Nightmares! Whenever Gordon Ramsay starts yelling Buster starts popcorning! It's one of the cutest things I've ever seen! He also loves Trailer Park Boys (which includes lots of yelling as well) I think he enjoys people sounding "excited" and then he gets excited and yells too :) But he'll watch anything. If I have my tablet out during floortime he will run right over and curl up in my lap to watch a show or movie.

Poppins is pickier. He likes to hear people whistle and then he whistles back. I'm a huge Walking Dead fan so obviously I was excited when I realized he'd love any episode where Negan & the Saviors do their whistle. He also watches Fixer Upper, I guess it's a house flipping show my mom watches and the husband whistles a lot and Pop does it back.

I'm not SUPER strict about what they watch, but they are absolutely forbidden to watch Bizarre Foods! Or any other shows that depict humans consuming guinea pigs. They're far too innocent for those shows :P

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 18, 2019 7:07 am

That is cool! You have some unique guinea pigs!

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Mon May 20, 2019 8:33 am

The cages are each five feet long by two and a half feet wide. I’m american so I don’t know how that translates, but my male doesn’t show any health concerns, poops are normal, water consumption and pee is normal (even though he pees literally anywhere he is), i think he might just be bored.

Follow up question, Targarians cage is right next to a window and at noon the sun shines down on some parts of the cage. He likes to lay there and bask in the sun and purr even though the rest of the room is always 70 degrees and cool. Is this normal? Man, I have some weird pigs.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Mon May 20, 2019 8:35 am

They each have the same size cage although the girls share one. Once I get targarian neutered, I’m going to link the cages together so they can have physical contact and more room to zoom, but I still haven’t decided whether or not I want to go through with it.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Mon May 20, 2019 8:42 am

My guinea pigs are similar with the TV thing but my girls (Rome and S’mores) like to listen to the radio, specifically NPR, so I usually leave it on for them when I leave the room. Targarian couldn’t care less though.

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Mon May 20, 2019 6:22 pm

5 ft x 2.5 ft would be equivalent to a Large (2 x 4 grid) C&C cage, which is awesome for 1 pig! Obviously bigger is better, but the minimum is 2 x 3 (grids). I think neutering him and trying to have them all be friends sounds like the best option, as long as you wait to put them together until about a month after surgery. I know personally it would be hard to make the decision about the surgery but neutering is pretty quick and easy. If he's young and in good health he should be fine. I'd make sure to bring him to an experienced exotics vet who works with guinea pigs frequently. Ask how many neuters they have done on guinea pigs, how many guinea pigs they treat each year, and also ask about the vet tech(s) who will be assisting in surgery and their guinea pig experience-they are the ones usually doing the anesthesia.

My guinea pigs love to lay in the sun, it isn't weird at all :) You just have to be careful with the plastic hideys, like Pigloos. They can get really hot when the sun shines on them and piggies laying inside can accidently overheat. I would stay away from plastic houses just to be safe!