Housing... issues

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Okay so y’all probably know about my setup. I have two girls and a male but their cages are separated by wire. I noticed that my male gets really lonely sometimes so I considered adopting a second male to keep him company but then I thought- wouldn’t they fight over the girls? Targarian already marks “his” territory by pissing all over the place. If I can’t get a second piggo, (a second male, it would make four pigs if I got another), what can I do to help alleviate his loneliness?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Guinea pigs don't mark their territories by peeing on things, the way dogs do. Their territory marking is to open their anal sacs and drag them on the ground.

Two males might or might not fight over the females -- they're more likely just to squabble over who's going to be top pig. Could you move the males' cage so that it's not so close to the girls?

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 5:38 pm

I don’t have any other space for his cage. Why should I move it?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Because they'd be right next to the girls, and possibly more apt to fight.

WICharlie

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 10:02 am

How do you know your male is lonely? If he is right next to the girls and can see them and talk to them, he probably benefits from their company even though he's not in the same cage. If you think he's lonely because he shows a lack of energy, movement, ect., there may be something else going on. Is his cage big enough for him to run "zoomies" around the cage? If not, he may need a bigger cage, not a companion. If he sits hunched up he may be sick. Are you weighing him regularly to monitor his health?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 10:21 am

I also wonder what is meant by "he pisses all over the place." Is this a small cage? What is the bedding? You had a rat issue in another thread, which makes me wonder how and where your guinea pigs are being housed.

JX4

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 2:29 pm

If you really want to give him companionship without getting a buddy, you could have him neutered. Then he could live with the females. However, you would need to wait about a month after the procedure before introducing them together since guinea pig sperm can live in the ductwork for at least 3 weeks or so, so that a freshly neutered male can still impregnate a female (or two) within a month of the procedure.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 9:34 pm

Can you double decker the cages?

Though, actually neutering may be the better idea.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed May 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Alright to answer ya’ll’s questions, his cage is big enough to do zoomies, and by pissing all over the place I meant that he just pees a lot in general. The cages they’ve are in are the same size as each other (very big) and the girls both share one while the male has the other to himself.

I’m saying he’s lonely because he (while he is very healthy, I do weigh the little bugger) spends a lot of time In his hides. I think this is lonely behavior, because when I lost little man a while ago, Rome, my remaining pig showed the same behavior, until I got s’mores. Targarian isn’t showing it that bad, but it’s still similar.

Hope this clears things up.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed May 15, 2019 6:06 pm

The question is, how large is his cage? Not in zoomies, but in feet and inches.

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Wed May 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Is he drinking excessively? If he's peeing a lot and drinking a lot he need to see a vet to check for diabetes or kidney problems. But if he just pees wherever it's probably just the way he is. Some will pick a corner or always go in their "kitchen" but some don't care. Poppins likes to use his kitchen, but Buster will pee almost wherever he lays in his cage.

I have 2 boars who are separated but they enjoy talking to each other. I used to worry about them being lonely but I think they are happy to have each other's company, even if they can't live together. If you think he wants someone to cuddle with you could try giving him a small stuffed animal. Poppins loves his hedgehog! (He mostly humps it but once in a while he lays with it)

Could it be that your piggy is just bored? Switching things around in the cages always gets my piggies to be more active. I'll switch out a tunnel for a hidey or just put fleece forests in a new location. Or put down new toys for floortime. Hide veggies around his cage for him to find. You can even get puzzle toys to keep him occupied. (there is one on chewy.com specifically geared towards rabbits & guinea pigs, but my piggies enjoy the dog and cat versions as well) Not sure how anyone else feels, but I think TV can be entertaining to certain guinea pigs. Maybe it's worth a shot?

Buster is a HUGE fan of TV. Poppins could care less, but Buster gets very pouty and will stay in his hidey most of the day if he doesn't have his TV. A few weeks ago "his" TV went out and I didn't replace it right away. He started spending all day sleeping in his pigloo. I honestly thought he was sick because he didn't want to come out very often even when I spent the whole day in "the guinea pig room" talking to him. I didn't' even think it could be due to him missing his shows but sure enough=once his new TV was hooked up he returned to normal. He did a lap around his cage, gave me wheek, and looked at me like "FINALLY! Took you long enough!"

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 15, 2019 10:58 pm

That is so funny!

What were his favorite shows?