Pees A LOT

marlenes mom

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 8:59 am

Hi there,
We recently took in a guinea pig from a neighbor. She’s about 4-5 years old. We’ve had her a few days now. She’s very active, eats and drinks a LOT. She is quite thin, so I’m trying to fatten her up, pellets, hay and veggies. The thing is, she pees A LOT. I’ve had to change the fleece pads under her house twice already, they are soaked through. I’ll have to change the entire cage already today too, ugh.

Is this normal? None of my other three pigs have peed this much. I think maybe she was just underfed and maybe dehydrated, though the family had a great cage and seemed to take good care of her. Do you think she’ll slow down? She’s drinking quite a lot.

Any suggestions? Not sure how I’m going to keep up!

Thanks!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 9:25 am

Excessive urination and weight loss are symptoms of diabetes. I'd get her in to an exotic vet for a checkup.

Diabetes isn't the severe disease in guinea pigs that it is in humans, but it does need to be treated.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 10:14 am

This should probably be a medical thread for her, and the one in which you would continue to use to post any other health questions later on.

Agree that the excessive drinking may be diabetes. It could also be an early symptom of renal failure. Weight loss is another sign of renal disease (typically seen as a sort of 'wasting' with loss of muscle). Definitely do have her checked out if the excessive drinking continues. Actually, a wellness check-up is never a bad idea for any new addition.

marlenes mom

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 10:32 am

We are on our way now.

marlenes mom

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 11:45 am

We saw the doctor. Nothing is enlarged, eyes and teeth are good. She was a bit dehydrated and she was running a fever, so the doctor thinks that she has a kidney infection. We will start with antibiotics. She had a vitamin c shot and some fluids as well. We will take her back to the vet to check temp in a week.

I was contemplating giving her back to the family, I know that’s selfish but I just can’t handle another sick pig so soon after Fran. But the doctor thinks that Cappi wasn’t cared for very well by the previous owner. I don’t disagree, her fur is stained really badly under her chin and belly and she’s pretty thin. So, I think it’s my job to try and get her healthy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Could have started out as a urinary tract infection that was never treated and spread to the kidneys. A course of antibiotics should help knock it out. What AB were you given? Fluids will also go a long way towards helping her feel better. I hope you can keep her. It does sound like she went through a rough time of it previously. The vet did check the teeth? Were xrays done?

marlenes mom

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 3:29 pm

Yes checked the teeth, but we didn’t do xrays yet. She felt her abdomen and didn’t feel masses and Capri didn’t seem to be in pain at all. If she doesn’t clear up or if she gets worse, I’ll take her back for a more thorough check. She’s still got a lot of energy.

They gave her trimeth/sulfamethox, I think that’s Bactrim?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Yes, Bactrim. It's generally well tolerated by most guinea pigs, but do watch for signs of reduced appetite or diarrhea. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

marlenes mom

Post   » Sat May 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Thanks so much!

marlenes mom

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 6:50 pm

How long do you think it takes to see an improvement with antibiotics? It’s only been 3 doses, I know, but she still feels hot and is still drinking like crazy. She hasn’t gained any weight though she’s eating like crazy. I’ve supplemented with critical care too, twice a day since she’s very skinny. She actually weighed less this morning than when we weighed her Friday.

The antibiotic doesn’t seem to be affecting her appetite or poos.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Did the vet happen to mention what her temperature was?

marlenes mom

Post   » Sun May 12, 2019 7:22 pm

It was 105