Sewing Fleece

daj

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 9:16 am

I bought 20 yards of fleece. At first the sewing was going OK, but now I'm getting tangles on the underside and breaking thread. I've adjusted both tensions and stitch length. I'm using a ballpoint needle, size 14 and a heavy polyester thread. I see there is something called a walking foot for knits and stretchy fabrics. I've watched a ton of videos and tried a ton of the possibilities. Can anyone offer suggestions or pointers? This is holding up my getting my pigs off the paper bedding.
Thanks!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 9:42 am

I'm not sure I understand why you are sewing it. When I used fleece, I just cut out the size needed for the cage, lined the bottom of the cage with heavy duty cotton towels, and placed the fleece on top of the towels after washing it several times beforehand to remove anything that the fleece may have been treated with. I think I did cut the fleece slightly larger to compensate for any shrinage, and I tended to tuck the excess fleece underneath the towels to help prevent burrowing.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 am

It doesn't have anything to do with the fleece, it's the adjustments on your sewing machine. Google the manual for your model and see if that's got any help. Or just google sewing machine adjustments.

It's not considered a stretchy fabric, so you don't need a walking foot.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 12:10 pm

It's the tension a lot of the time. You might want to hit up a sewing-specific community like r/sewing on Reddit for more advice.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 1:36 pm

If needed you could use a sharp needle. The ballpoint is good for knits that run. The needle slips between the threads in the weave of the fabric and doesn’t break the threads. That’s not a problem with fleece.

There could be a couple of causes for the thread tangling on the bobbin side. First I would adjust the pressure foot so there is not as much pressure. That will allow the fabric to move more smoothly as you guide it and sew. Second, what else are you sewing and how thick is it? If there are a couple layers of fleece plus a lining, the needle and bobbin thread my not be connecting so stitches get missed and tangles happen.

Before you start on a large piece, try some scraps and see if the stitches are even and that they are not being pulled to the top or bottom. If they are pulled, loosen the tension on the pulled side, and tighten on the loose side. Adjust very little and try again. Good luck!

daj

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 9:26 pm

Thanks all! These are great suggestions. I am sewing a 1/2" polyester batting between two layers of fleece. I figured it will wash out cleaner than cotton??? I do have the manual; it's for a vintage Kenmore. I will try a sharp needle, as I don't think I have done so yet, and adjust the pressure on the foot. I'll also hold off on the walking foot and give it another go, trying some fine tuning on the tensions. Very helpful input, thank you!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 10:11 pm

Ah, layer of batting in-between. Got it! I am hopeless when it comes to sewing, so I just did the layer of towels (maybe two layers of towels; that was a few years ago) with the fleece on top. Got the job done, but in the end I got tired of trying to get all of the poops and hay off it before laundering.

Wish someone would invent some sort of disposable, absorbent, eco-friendly and economical padding-type bedding (that's not asking for too much, right?).

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 14, 2019 11:03 pm

I have a vintage Montgomery Ward sewing machine and experienced some of the same thread issues when making blankets for the dog and guinea pig. Sometimes a narrow zig zag stitch works better because it has some stretch with the fleece. The batting will make a nice light padded blanket that washes and dries fast.