Timothy Hay suggestions?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:08 am

Interesting!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:17 am

That makes perfect sense, ItsaZoo. Even with timothy, after it matures and has seed heads, it is more coarse and the hay itself is much less nutritious.

Coarse to me says "over the hill", mature, pokey stems.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:38 am

Exactly the way I interpreted it, Lynx. I haven't seen it sold on any other hay sites.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:11 am

That's what I thought when I read the description. "Course" sounds so much better than, "a bunch of thick, chewy dried grass stems that we didn't harvest in it's prime!" ;)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:13 am

And you can buy 5 lbs. of it for only $28.97! :O

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:46 am

Has anyone here ever tried HayRabbit brand?
https://www.hayrabbitco.com/

Saradactyl

Post   » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:46 pm

I bought HayRabbit last night and it got here today. I'd say the only good think about it so far is that I got it with one day shipping through Amazon Prime. Other than that, it doesn't seem to be that great. It was $29.95 for a 7lb box, whereas Small Pet Select (what I normally order) is $28.41 for a 12lb box.

I ordered the second-cut timothy hay, and while it's bright green and smells nice, it has a very strange texture that I've never felt on hay before. It almost feels sticky? Like those little plants with sticky seeds that stick to your socks when you walk through grass. My mom said it feels like that plastic grass she used to put in our Easter baskets. After digging through it, I found maybe two seed heads in the entire box. My girls are refusing to touch it so far. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:53 am

I started buying the Oxbow Timothy and Orchard Hay blend in the 90 ounce bag. Ordered from Chewy with auto ship and it was $18.56. Lacey is a fan - here is a video link:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2lBB3OhBVP ... p6fmsp4noz

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:27 am

Saradactyl, thanks for letting everybody know. I definitely won't order that brand! Will probably just stick with RabbitHole hay for now.

Saradactyl

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:14 pm

No problem Sef! I ordered RabbitHole a couple days ago, but since I live in Florida it's going to be awhile until it gets here. I needed hay to tide them over in the meantime so I figured I'd order HayRabbit with the one day shipping; they ate it last night, but didn't seem happy about it. Every time I grab it out of the box it feels very unpleasant, like it's sticking and dragging against my hands.

Do you know if second-cut timothy from RabbitHole has a good amount of the seed heads? I like to use those as treats for my girls.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:48 pm

It does.

Saradactyl

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:31 pm

Great, thanks! Hopefully my girls will like it since they're so picky lol.