Saying Goodbye to Them Both

Kylo

Post   » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:12 pm

6 Years ago I joined this forum when I adopted a pup I named Harvey. We met when he was one day old and I worked on bonding with him until I took him home after he was weaned.
He was the most stubborn, pig-headed, grouchy, energetic, hilarious and bi-polar pig I've ever heard of. His personality out shone that of many people I've met. He was so smart. He knew me and he learned to love me while being tru to his whimsical self.
He died the day before New Years Eve.
I have never taken a loss like this, even losing grand parents and cousins. I raised this boy. He moved with me 6 times happily. Often it was just him and I.
But under a year after I took him home I realised (after joining this site) that I wasn't enough. I kept an eye out for adoptions... One day I was picking up some hay and I noticed this skittish, still big boy in a frickin tank in the back of a pet store. He was beautiful in his own way. He reminded me of two face from Batman with his colours. Charlie, my wonderful skittish little croaky piggle, died 3 days ago.

It took 2 years to get him out of his shell. He'd originally been sick with Ringworm when he was very young and he had to be isolated for a long time. Suddenly when he was well he wasn't this small squeaky little cutebag that attracts people into impulse buying so he ended up at the back of the store in an empty tank all alone and ignored. I couldn't leave without him.

I have videos linked on here of their introductions.
It didn't work out. Harvey was a runt, but boy was he vicious and wasn't going to kill Charlie, but wouldn't accept not being the boss ever. Charlie was huge for a young pig and didn't need to submit to this little fluff furry face. They ended up living as grumpy, attached neighbours all these years. There were many signs they had a strong bond and were happy. We all lived happily for a long time.

But they managed 6 short years in the world and now they're gone.
I still say hello when I walk into my office (where they lived, where I chill all the time) I still close the door religiously because I fear the dog will get in. I still go to prep their veg at night. I still say goodnight. I still look over to where they used to be a million times a day. I still talk aloud to them. I still call their names. I still expect them to be here.

I don't feel I'll ever be able to adopt pigs again. Maybe I'll foster if I ever feel able, but my heart couldn't handle more loss.

I just wanted to thank this forum. I haven't been active in a long time because I haven't needed to be.
My boys were healthy. They died in their sleeps without ever suffering from all the things pigs are prone to. They got lucky. I got lucky not to watch them suffer. The sudden deaths were a shock but I take comfort knowing they just slipped away, old and ready.

I learned so much here and I never stop paying it forward. Northern Ireland is not a place well educated in proper pig care. No one has been exempt from unwanted pleas for bigger housing, better food, exercise and stimulation, handling, health needs. I'll likely never stop parroting everything the OG members have taught me.

Thanks for helping me make my pigs lives wonderful. Much love and happiness to all of you and your furbabies.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:39 pm

A beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing their stories with us. I'm sorry for your loss of them both; I know too well what enormous holes these little ones leave in our hearts.

Sending you my heartfelt condolences.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:55 pm

What a great story! I'm so sorry you've lost them, but what a good life they had with you!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:33 pm

I am so glad you all found each other. It is obvious they were both loved and in their own way, I don't doubt they loved you.

CleoCharity

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:13 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is to lose a pig. It sounds like they had the best life and it's clear they were very loved.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:19 pm

I'm sorry, Kylo.

lisam

Post   » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your story touched my heart, I believe most of us have been there before and know what you're going through.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:23 am

I'm so sorry!! Those piggies were lucky to end up with you.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:22 am

I'm so sorry, but I have this warm feeling about lucky animals getting adopted into good homes.

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:55 pm

I just came onto the forum to search for "grief" and I came upon this. It truly is a beautiful tribute. I lost yet another piggy today. Since 2003, our family has rescued or taken into rescue 16 guinea pigs. We have 3 left. All the others have succumbed to old age, heart issues, or cancer. We have loved every single one of them with all of our hearts. We have had some tough saves as far as medical issues. We had one round where we saved three starving piggies from a front porch where no one lived. So starved that they had eaten each other's hair. One was pregnant. She was such a beautiful little doll when her hair grew back in...a little merino or texel pig with long curly hair. She would kiss my face all over as if she was expressing thanks for saving her and her family. One of her babies, Oliver, died today. I lost another sweet baby 2 weeks ago at the age of 8 (that we know of maybe more). I swear it never gets any easier. The hurt is so deep. I agree, this hurts me worse than the human deaths I've endured. I just don't think I can endure much more. Getting old and sick. I guess I just wanted to come in today for some comfort. I rarely do.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:12 am

Shanna, I'm so deeply sorry for your loss. Your story sounds very much like mine. Husband and I have been adopting/rescuing guinea pigs since 2004, and we have taken in 18 guinea pigs over the years: Sebastian was our first, followed by Otis, Zachary, Oliver, Winston, Henry, Hershel, Theodore, Joshua, Andrew, Gabriel, Caleb, Leonard, Sammy, Lewis, Amos, Harrison and most recently, Jeremy.

All have been dearly loved, and all of the losses were extremely hard. A few died of old age; most died from bladder stones or cancer. Two died from complications involving bloat/bowel blockage. Zachary, my avatar pig, was one of the hardest losses. He was an amazing little guy...super intelligent and very bonded to us in a way that felt human. We lost him to aggressive bladder and ureteral stones at the age of 4; a death that, to this day, we have never fully recovered from.

On at least two occasions, I have contacted the guinea pig rescue after a loss, and asked them to take our then-remaining pigs, saying, "I can't do this any more." She has wisely said, "Sleep on it and if you feel the same way tomorrow, call me and I'll be happy to do it." Of course I changed my mind, deciding that having guinea pigs - even with all of the inevitable heartbreak - was far better than not having them at all. Some day, though, I know I'll end up making that call.

A heartfelt hug to you, and to the others here who have loved and lost their precious little ones.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:59 am

Shanna, I'm so sorry & ditto to sef1268. Losing them never does get any easier. Your story about the starving pigs on the front porch is touching & the texel licking your face.

"super intelligent and very bonded to us in a way that felt human" - yes. Isn't that something when it happens.