They aren't eating their pellets

CuteGuineas

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:48 pm

Replying to samim21: That is a good idea about cutting up new foods very small and putting them in their current food. I will try that in the future. Your other ideas are good too; thank you.

I am refilling their hay rack a few times a day. I am still using the bag of All Living Things brand timothy hay that I bought when they were new. I had not yet researched hay brands at that point when I brought it, but I think it is decent hay. It smells sweet when I open the bag, and it looks very comparable to the Oxbow 2nd cut hay (from what I can tell looking through the bag at the Oxbow hay at the pet store). I may try Oxbow next, although there were a lot of reviews on Chewy and Amazon that said the quality has gone downhill recently (maybe it's a seasonal issue).

They have not been to the vet yet. I will take them at some point, but they do seem healthy so far, and they are drinking plenty of water now too. Now if I could only get them to eat pellets! I think they might be eating a very few of them, but it should be more. Might just have to break down and buy them a different kind.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Did you ever end up ordering regular Oxbow adult pellets?

CuteGuineas

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Not yet, but I think I will just pick up a bag at the pet store tonight. If they like it, I will order more. I was hoping they would eventually eat the Garden Select pellets because the ingredients look healthier, but they aren't eating much of them at all. A little bit, but not much.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:30 pm

They seem to like the Oxbow adult pellets; they were munching those tonight. They also like the Oxbow Vitamin C treats, which pleasantly surprised me. So I guess I don't need to worry too much anymore about them getting enough Vitamin C.

IssaG

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Awesome. I'm glad you found a pellet they liked. My guineas prefer those as well.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:36 pm

I don't sweat it even a little bit if my boys don't eat pellets. They eat a ton of hay and they eat all of their veggies (about a cup or so daily). They get plenty of fresh grass too. They do nibble on their pellets, but ithey not a part of their main diet. I think they chew on them just enough to help their teeth.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:32 pm

You might find after they don’t have the Garden Select for a while, they might like it because it’s something new. Mine does this all the time. I think I’ve found the hay or treat or pellet that’s her favorite and as soon as I stock up she gets tired of it. At first I was donating supplies to the Humane Society and then I realized if I wait a while, everything old is new again.

CuteGuineas

Post   » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:46 pm

I will try that; changing things up a little now and then could be good idea.

I have noticed in the 2.5 weeks since I brought them home from the animal shelter, they have gradually grown a little more open to trying new things. For example, at first they wouldn't eat any veggies that weren't greens, and they would even sort out some of those, like they wouldn't eat the arugula in the spring mix I fed them. Now they are eating a variety of things in addition to their hay and pellets. They have such funny little personalities, so cute!