Loss of a Pig

cattherabbit

Post   » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:18 pm

My little 5 y/o sow Lila died in her sleep last night. I'm trying to decide if I can keep her cage mate alone until he passes. He's a 6 y/o neutered boar. He actually had surgery today for a thumbnail sized mass in his ear that we thought was a polyp. Unfortunately, he has facial nerve paralysis due to the mass is invading his ear canal. I didn't want to go forward with surgery today, but needed to since the mass was infected and painful. This is his second cage mate he's outlived and he and Lila had been together for close to 4.5 years. He lived alone for 6 months between cage mates. He spent time with her body this morning before I took her in to be cremated.

He has a plush in cage with him, and enjoys spending time with me. Obviously we're all grieving right now, and I'm not rushing out to replace Lila, but I want what's best for him. Given that he's got a pretty terrible prognosis himself and is on hospice care, is it unfair to not adopt a companion for him?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:35 pm

I probably wouldn't get another, unless I planned to keep going with pigs.

I'm sorry about Lila, and hope that things go well for your boar.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:15 pm

I am sorry to hear about Lila. I rather agree with bpatters. The only other thing I can think of if he pulls through this issue is perhaps fostering a guinea pig for company. But it sounds like he would do okay on his own.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:28 pm

I’m so sorry about Lila. Your little guy would probably appreciate extra attention as he recovers and I would just hold off on a buddy. He has a lot going on and so do you. Take care of yourself.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:29 pm

Agree. I'm so sorry for your loss.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:30 am

I am so sorry for your lost of Lila. RIP wee little angel. Run free and popcorn in paradise. Another angel amongst the clouds.
I would perhaps see how things turn out with your boar. Give him time to grieve. Then maybe you can foster for a bit. Sending big hugs to you and your fur baby.