Advice on Vitamin C Supplement???

hwendy12

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi everyone, I want to introduce my 1 yr old female guinea pig Muffin here. We adopted her 2 weeks ago, and she is my first guinea pig. We are also in the process of adopting another female baby guinea pig (3 mo old). I want to ask what kind of Vitamin C supplement everyone is using for your piggies. We give her the Kaytee pellets to Muffin every day (1/8 cup), but she doesn't always eat them. Any suggestions?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:19 pm

I believe if a piggy gets a good healthy diet with loads of vegetables there is no need for supplements. But a lot of people on GL give their piggies Oxbox chewable vitamin C tablets. What ever type you get do not add it to their water! Make sure they like it before you sprinkle it on their food. You don't want them going off their food!Weigh weekly!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:44 am

Kaytee is a very poor quality pellet. We recommend Oxbow or KMS Hayloft as better choices. A quality pellet and variety of fresh vegetables are the best way to ensure adequate vitamin C intake. As stated, supplementation should not be necessary in a healthy pig.

See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html