Carrot Houses

Harmony

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:36 am

I have seen these talked about a lot, and felt my guineas must be missing out as all they get is cardboard boxes -so I bought some for them, not sure if I bought the best type though, as they are very light and move too easily. the older guineas seemed to like sitting on the top, and chewing bits off them, but didn't like the little doorway, and lost interest once they had made it bigger - but the young ones, especially the lunatic Abyssinians had to have theirs removed hastily as they instantly started picking it up and throwing it around the cage! I've been trying to work out how to stop them being able to move it so eaily (I don't want them braining each other) but wondered if there were better, heavier types - these were made by Rosewood.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:13 am

What are these? Made of dried carrots?

This does not sound like a good idea.

Harmony

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:10 am

I had no idea what they were made of really until I got them, I just saw all these people saying how marvellous they were. Don't normally ever buy expensive pet shop type things but had a weak moment!

When they arrived they were made of cardboard with little bits of hay stuck all over them and little bits of carrot on top - if i could work out what they stuck the hay on with I could make my own! They are nice for them to climb on and sit, which the normal boxes I give them were not- but they don't have floors so are just so lightweight.

I had to buy them to find out about them , as I don't buy from pet shops as I would never support the pet trade, so I bought them online. Either I bought the wrong sort or my guineas are much more badly behaved than other folks' ones are!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:44 am

I think something made of a good quality timothy hay might be nice. Straw, on the other hand, can be quite pokey.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:01 pm

I know there was a thread here on this exact same product a few weeks ago, but I can't find it. My comment about dried carrot (or any other dried veggie) is that, once it expands in the gut, there is a potential for it to cause gas, bloating or even a blockage. I had it happen to one of my guinea pigs many years ago, and the experience taught me to use extreme caution with anything like this.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:06 pm

Oxbow makes these wonderful Timothy hay stacks. My guinea pigs go crazy for them. Scruffy, my Abby is the craziest of them all. The other guys like to push them around before they start chewing on them, but he drags it around and uses it as a perch or to give himself a boost up on top of his house. He eats it eventually, but not until he's gotten full use of it. Maybe you could try them. They are available on Amazon and at most pet stores.

Oxbow Animal Health Harvest Stacks Western Timothy With Carrot Pet Food, 35-Ounce

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 am

Our guys enjoy those, too. I order the plain timothy product. I will add, though, that they make one heck of a mess!

Harmony

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:56 am

Well I shall definitely be trying them instead, I only bought the houses last week and I have just been advised by the seller that they are now double the price if I want any more!!!! They were not cheap before but seriously - nearly £10 (don't know that in dollars) for something made of grass and cardboard - forget it!! I'm off to order the haystacks now.

CleoCharity

Post   » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:15 pm

My girls love the haystacks too. I also bought this hay mat, and they really like it.