We got a baby

Happymom2642

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:00 am

Yesterday, we got a baby off craigslist. My daughter and I had to rescue it! He’s so cuddly and sweet. I’m worried though. He weighs 8 oz and we have not seen him eat any kibble, veggies or hay. He doesn’t drink from the tiny water bottle we got him. We have been syringe feeding him water and he latches on like it’s a nipple.
Any advice? I can’t get the people to answer my messages and I sure don’t want him to die 😩

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:07 am

Read https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Get a scale and start weighing immediately. Be prepared to hand feed. Note behavior and see a vet if he does not eat.
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html

Happymom2642

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:57 am

Can you explain how long it will take him to learn to eat food on his own?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:51 am

How old is the baby? It sounds like he may have been separated from his mother too soon. Do you have another pig (same sex) who could potentially be paired with him to help teach him how to eat and drink? Is the water bottle low enough for him to reach?

Happymom2642

Post   » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:44 pm

I have no idea. They said he was weaned. None of my males have ever been able to pair up with other pigs. They’re all very territorial. We can only put them in the big play yard outside together in the summer with constant supervision.
The water bottle is a tiny one that fits his mouth size and is low enough for him to use. For now, we are syringe feeding baby food mixed with crushed baby guinea pig pellets every 3-4 hours. Also syringing water. He lost 1 oz the first day we had him so I upped the feeds and now he’s steady at 8 oz.
we leave for vacation Sunday. Looks like he’s going with us.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:54 pm

What kind of baby food? Can you order some Critical Care, or does your vet carry it?

Happymom2642

Post   » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:44 pm

There are no vets around here that carry critical care. I’ve been grinding up oxbow young guinea kibble and mixing it with baby food squash or sweet potatoes and feeding it to him.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:07 pm

If that works for him, then great. Maybe someone else will have some additional suggestions. I'm sorry that he's having these difficulties, but hopefully he'll start eating and drinking well on his own soon.

Happymom2642

Post   » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:37 pm

Thank you. I hope so too. We don’t mind syringe feeding him, I just want him to thrive. He’s so adorable.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:25 am

Have you tried hand feeding him at cuddle time? NOT via syringe but offering grass, carrot, capsicum etc? When we had babies years ago ours were eating solids with in hours. Could he be lonely and scared? Maybe a stuffed toy to snuggle up too?

As suggested weigh regularly. We have a new piggy around 6 weeks, we put her food on a plate with meadow hay close by. This way she can eat under the cover of hay. Hoping things get better soon! Keep us posted!

Our vets didn't have Critical Care or any Oxbow products. I asked and they got it in for me and still do. Especially for people rearing possums and wombats.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:39 am

Oxbow Critical Care Apple/Banana Pet Su ... .DbTG95313

Oxbow Critical Care Fine Grind Pet Supp ... .DbDKY2VAS

You don't have to get it from a vet. Amazon has it. I've never had to wait longer than 3 days for it to arrive and it costs far less than what a vet charges. They have the apple banana and the fine grind. My boys will eat the fine grind willingly. The apple banana, not so much.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:21 am

You don't have to get it from a vet. Amazon has it. I've never had to wait longer than 3 days for it to arrive and it costs far less than what a vet charges.
Here Oxbow Queensland will not ship any Critical Care with out a vet confirming said pet needs it. Takes 2-4 days to come in and costs $20.80 for 141g. My girls like the Aniseed one.