Will my pig get lonely?

kmonkey28

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:35 am

Hey guys i’m experiencing a dilemma and would really appreciate some input. So around 4 weeks ago I discovered one of my guinea pigs had ringworm and took her to the vet for a sort of inpatient treatment. Turns out the medicine is not working and she will be there for at least another 3/4 weeks. I know guinea pigs are social animals and I am debating on if I should get a third guinea pig or not to keep the healthy guinea pig company. My reasons not to are because I have really only budgeted for two and don’t really feel able to eventually care for three. However, i do not want my current guinea pig to become depressed!!! She does get lots of lap time everyday!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:55 am

Has your vet considered an oral treatment for ringworm?

I have to say, I would not be very happy if my guinea pig was in a vet's care for 3 or 4 weeks. This is a lot of time in a guinea pig's life.

Could there not be some way she could be with you?

This is the medical topic you started on this guinea pig:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 6#p2304146

Perhaps you can post on that topic detailed info on what treatment was given and what your guinea pig is now getting to treat the ringworm.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:48 pm

That is ridiculous. I've never heard of keeping a guinea pig that long at a clinic, especially for something as treatable at home as ringworm. I'd consider finding another vet. Does this one routinely treat exotics like ferrets, rabbits and guinea pigs?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:47 pm

I am going with your "That is ridiculous." At the very least, awfully peculiar and likely not good for the health of the guinea pig.

lisam

Post   » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Not to mention there's probably a kenneling/boarding charge for every day she's there.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:50 am

Even in Australia that sounds strange to me. I can remember when I had to go to a funeral and was syringe feeding Jessie, she was at the vets for 2 hours and it cost me $27.00AUD something to be in the clinic and over $30.00AUD for nursing care- hand feeding. So for 2 hours it cost close to $60.00AUD. I was shocked and disgusted at my vet after all we were going to a funeral!

As to your healthy pig, put her cage where she can see and hear people, talk to it often and as you are doing loads of cuddles. But I would NOT get another pig! What happens when the one at the vet comes home? The longer the one at the vet stays there the more likely they will forget each other.

Maybe one of these vets is near you or you current vet could get in touch with them? https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... f=77&t=277

Hoping your piggy comes home soon. Sending healing vibes your way!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:57 pm

I have to chime in, this is abnormal.

CleoCharity

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:34 pm

I've never heard of anything like this. Did your vet give a specific reason why your pig couldn't come home with you? I would also personally worry about stress for the sick pig. For your healthy pig, you could try putting a safe, pig-sized stuffed animal in their cage for them to snuggle with, and continue with lots of cuddles.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:18 am

Not sure that member has been back on the board.