Regular Boar Behavior?

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:46 am

Hi!

I recently had one of my boars pass away. He and my other boar, Poppins, were bonded but lived in separate cages because they would always fight. Well a week or so ago I adopted Caleb from the shelter as a friend for Poppins since he was very lonely and not acting like himself. Caleb and Poppins are also around the same age (3 years old) but Poppins still loves humping his stuffed hedgehog so I was a little worried he might assault Caleb.

I introduced them to each other yesterday and they spent all day in a playpen without fighting. Caleb immediately let Poppins mount him and that seemed to be the end of it. Since things were going so well I went ahead and reconfigured the cages so they can live together. I put in two of everything and only left in the fleece forests and tunnels so one couldn't trap the other.

I'm just not sure what behavior is normal since I've never had two pigs get along. They talk to each other in nice little chortles and chuts and sound happy. They chase each other around the cage...I think they are playing, but I'm wanting to make sure it's ok. Sometimes Poppins will annoy Caleb and then they will chatter teeth for a few seconds, but they get over it quickly. I've even seen them grooming each other.

My question is, is this normal behavior? The chasing? And will they likely always have little spats like that? Or will they stop once they have been together longer. I'm sorry I'm just new to this "getting along" thing. I'm SUPER excited because I honestly thought Poppins would have to live alone forever but he seems to genuinely enjoy having a cagemate :) I just hope the chasing is playing and not aggressive behavior.

Edit: My other question is do I have to leave the pigloos out forever or can I try to put them in and see what happens? If they become possessive. I know some people say don't use pigloos at all, but can some piggies get along and not fight over them?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:20 pm

It is normal boar behavior. They may always have minor disputes, and that's very normal even after years of living together. Behaviors can include humping, chasing, teeth chattering, and the nose-up-in-the-air faceoff. As long as there is no lunging, biting or flying fur, you're fine. Let them work it out.

I don't advocate using pigloos, because of the limited air circulation.

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:07 pm

Thank you so much for replying! I feel a lot better now :)
I think I might just DIY some more fleece forests so they feel like they have more places to hide.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:27 pm

My male/female pair have the same relationship. I’ve never seen either one groom the other, so actually your boars may be better friends!! For hide purposes, they both love the cardboard boxes that the GuineaDad liners come in. The box turns into house with doors on two sides and guinea pig shaped windows on two sides.

They chew out the doors and windows until the thing is essentially open on all four sides, but they still “hide” in it. Guinea Dad started selling just the boxes in a three pack, I think you can find them on Amazon and maybe through Lynx’s amazon partner link? I’m not sure how that works.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:08 pm

The GuineaDad hidey houses are here (via GL affiliate link):
https://www.amazon.com/GuineaDad-Crunchy-Hideaway-Hideout-Accessories/dp/B07Q5RHCRX?ref_=ast_sto_dp

[Edit - I made it an actual affiliate link. The forum software strips it out so you have to use the[ url= xxx]text[ /url ] method - Lynx]

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:14 pm

The Amazon partner link works if you click on it (at the bottom of the page) and find products too. It takes a while to create a direct link but the products you find in searches work too.

This happens to be a direct link: Affiliate Link for GuineaDad cardboard hideouts

Anyway, I think it is.

Being the economical person I am, I would more likely find a suitable box and make my own. But these boxes could offer a pattern to follow.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Thanks, Lynx. I'll remember that next time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:27 pm

I do have to say, it is well designed and the video is pretty cute!

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:59 pm

I definitely feel you on the economical front! I just have way too much anxiety with these two. I know they are going to eat 85-90% of any box I put in there, so I like knowing where it came from. The one that’s in their cage now looks more like a carport than a house, but they still use the “doors” :)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:23 am

Sammy and Dean are almost 2 and have been bonded since birth. They have their disagreements once in awhile but it always ends as quickly as it starts; usually with Dean, the dominant one giving Sammy a little scolding. Sammy always yields to Dean and peace prevails. I'd agree that your boys are behaving normally.

DonkeyBrainz

Post   » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:24 pm

Thank you, Renonvsparky!