Washing fleece

PippathePig85

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:02 am

What does everyone wash their fleece with? Do you put it in a pillow case, or just wash it like you would a regular load of laundry? Do you use any bleach? Unscented detergent? Need advice. If I put one fleece in a pillow case, would it still get cleaned properly or no? husband is a little hesitant of just throwing them in our washer and dryer lol!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:04 am

Have you done a search on this question?

Do a regular rinse. Don't put them in a pillow case. Unscented detergent is best. Use a little bit of bleach if you are smelling an odor after washing and drying.

PippathePig85

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:15 am

Yes I searched, but couldn't find an answer to putting them in a pillow case or something. The thought came up when I saw a laundry bag on amazon just for washing fleece for piggies. I thought it was an intriguing idea. Does it make a difference that my washer does NOT have hot water ran to it? It's a high efficiency washer but we have not hooked up hot water to it..thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:08 pm

If your washer is a high efficiency washer, it likely still needs hot water. Hot water in my high efficiency front loading machine is definitely more effective at cleaning using hot water. I usually use warm but almost never cold. It uses very little water to clean a load of laundry.

This article goes over some of the pros and cons of different water temperatures:
https://econutssoap.com/blogs/eco-nuts- ... cold-water

Here's a slightly contrasting article that says detergents are designed to work better with cold water these days but there are still times warm/hot water can help (as in sanitizing). A little bleach (if you don't have to worry about fading clothes) can help instead of the hot water.

https://clark.com/family-lifestyle/righ ... s-laundry/

p.s. I'm going to continue using warm water because I stockpiled laundry detergent years ago so it is not a new formulation that works well in cold water.

SSLee

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:00 pm

I bought a jumbo pet laundry bag from Amazon to wash my guinea pig items and the items didn't always come out clean. I no longer use that bag and it was a waste of $20. Bought a silicone rubber brush for $3.99 to brush hay and fur from my fleeces before putting it into the washing machine and it works much better.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:51 pm

I have one of those same brushes. It works pretty well in getting hay and hair off before laundering, but brushing fleece off is not my favorite chore.

You might find other useful tips here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 10#1018210

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:20 am

I have a high efficiency top-load and I use warm water. One thing I saw in the instruction manual is that the delicate setting is best for heavy fabrics or anything waterproof, like the bed pads I use under the fleece. It fills with more water per cycle than standard settings. And waterproof items should be on the bottom of the tub so the debris rises to the top and drains during the spin cycle.

I shake everything outside as well as I can and just put it in the washer.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:37 am

One thing I learned some years back when shaking fleece outside is not to be too vigorous. Or there may be golden showers.

PippathePig85

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:57 am

Lynx it is hilarious you mentioned this because I splattered myself all over my face with guinea pig pee last night shaking one out!!!!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:24 am

No fun! I have had that happen. These days, I let the fleece dry out thoroughly before shaking.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:18 am

Where did you get the silicone brush? We've been looking for one.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:25 am

I had several at one time that I had ordered on Amazon.com, but I got my current brush locally. It's this brand:
FURemover Brush

Maybe Lynx can put an affiliate code on my link.

[Edit - I did change the link - Lynx]