Skinny pig hair... growth?

Intalli

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:40 pm

Late this March, I adopted a skinny pig (Winnie, sow, ~4-5yrs as I was told) from an acquaintance who could no longer care for her. Recently I noticed her fuzz especially on her upper back has gone from peach fuzz to almost a sparse coat in the few months we've had her. I'd seen her before, over a year ago, so I know she wasn't just missing fur. The only things I can think of are dietary changes (better food and more fresh veg) or hormonal changes, but I couldn't find anything via Google.
She's my first skinny, so is this common? Is there a reason it happens, or it something that just happens?

Comparison pics, one from early April, one from today: https://imgur.com/a/l9YMlON

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:10 pm

What an adorable little guinea pig! I think with age things change too.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:27 am

Yes, that is totally normal.  It has happened to all of my fuzzy guys as they age, usually when they hit around five years.  Unless she is scratching herself, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Intalli

Post   » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 pm

Thanks! It was just such a weird thing to me, but it's good to know it's nothing unusual.

tiggyswift

Post   » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:47 pm

I’m glad I saw this because I have skinnies for the first time and did not know this. I have 4 that range in age from 1 1/2 years to 3 years old so I will now know this when they get a bit older.