The Tale of My Insane Cavies

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:31 pm

I will take some soon, don't worry. :)

cavykatie

Post   » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:24 pm

You have such cute pigs. I can't wait to see more pics and read more about them.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:21 pm

Well, Diablo is now back in his old cage.
I took him and Snickers to the vet today for checkups. Snickers is doing well, except for a bit of arthritis in his front left leg, but he's already on glucosamine for it,so that was no big deal.
Diablo, on the other hand, has quite a few problems. The most obvious problem is his head tilt, but the vet says it's probably from an old bacterial infection. He does want me to make sure he is eating solid foods, to make sure it's not a tooth problem. He is now munching away on hay, and ate pellets when I offered them, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. The vet also found some bites on his skin, so he's now separated, poor guy.
He also got a bite on his eye, which is now a corneal ulcer, so he's on some AB eye drops for that.
He is als really skinny-only 750G. The vet gave me some Critical Care, so I am handfeeding him to try to get his weight up. Since he didn't previously get many veggies, he is also getting 0.4 mL of vitamin C liquid a day.
I am thinking that to plump him up a bit, I will feed him unlimited pellets (he is currently around 4 years old) and extra veggies. Is this a good idea?
Anyway, one he is fattened up and healthier, I will try to reintroduce them. This time I'll try harder to make it work. I'll clean out the cag and put in new coroplast, and I will do a buddy bath. Of course, this probably won't be happening for another few months.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:10 pm

Sorry for all the problems!!

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:19 pm

Glad Snickers is doing well, sorry for Diablo's probs.

I thought he was between two and three -- at the pignic last May I was told he was around two (Pandora's age)

Not sure whether TOO many pellets are a good idea -- my two seem less happy and active when they get too many.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:55 am

Yep, and it's now been a year, JD, so he could be 4. :)

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:42 pm

I will keep our little fingers and paws crossed for you and hopes everyone will get along time around! : )

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:55 pm

Just wanted to update every about the pigs.

Diablo is doing well and has hit the 2 pound mark. He's going to the vet tommorow for a follow up on tooth problems, his eye, and how oddly he walks. He's eating really well and runs like crazy during floor time, so I am sure he will do really well in the long run. I'm also picking up some Coroplast tommorow, and I will build him a nice 2X3. I'm planning to put it on top of the main cage, on the same level as the hayloft, but set 3/4 of a cube to the right, so that the hayloft is still accessible. That way, he'll be able to see and interact with the other pigs. If that winds up being too difficult, we'll have the C&C on the table he's on now.

The other pigs are just fine. Hannah is her cranky old self, Elsie is still neurotic and cowlike, and Snicker still looovvees his womenses!

By the way, if anybody wants to see Diablo's medical thread, it is here.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36616
Last edited by 3 Little Pigs on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:57 pm

Glad to hear the happy update on everyone 3LP.
Hope everything goes well at the vet tomorrow. : )

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Diablo moved into his brand-spankin-new C&C cage tonight! I love seeing him this happy! At first he seemed confused and just ran around the pigloo, but now he's got the zoomies and is so cute to watch! I've noticed such a huge change in him.
By the way, he is doing really well as far as health is concerned. He is nice and chubby now. He is on Baytril for an ear infection, and should be totally fine after that!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:58 pm

*gasp*
What? You are just going to leave this post like this?
No new CC and Diablo’s pictures...?

So glad to hear that the little guy is doing fine. :)

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:38 pm

Yes! Pictures!