The Tale of My Insane Cavies

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:00 pm

It's because my camera wants to make you suffer! I will make my dad figure it out tonight!

Fossil Barb

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:50 am

Pictures are on the way. Right! Great story but need piggie pics.

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Thu May 31, 2007 10:26 pm

All is well in the world of my piggies. Diablo has been happy and healthy, as has everyone else.
The exciting new change is a mix-up of the herds! Yesterday I sectioned off most of the lowest level of the cage, and moved Diablo in there. At first there was a lot of chattering and rumblestrutting, but it calmed down overnight. This afternoon I tried moving Elsie in with Diablo. They have been getting along great, not a single chatter or bite! *knock on wood* Eventually, I would like to be able to combine them all into one big herd, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Here's the new happy couple.
Diablo is thrilled with the new arrangements
While Elsie merely tolerates them.
Snickers and Hannah have spent the day sulking
And occasionally descending the ramp to glare and chatter.

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:14 am

Best wishes for the happy couple!

Snickers is so cool-looking -- he has a great butt!

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:14 pm

It seems that I may not go to the movies without all hell breaking loose.
When I returned home from watching Pirates for the second time, I went downstairs to the computer for my beloved GL. I had been watching "Pig TV" before I left, so the computer chair was facing the pig cage. I pulled the chair towards the computer, and what do I find? A little crooked white face staring at me from under the cage.

Yes, Diablo had jumped out of the cage! So, I gasped and picked him up and made sure he hadn't hurt himself. He was fine, so I put him back in the cage. Just then, I see Snickers running past, in Diablo's part of the cage! As far as I can tell, Snickers jumped from the ramp into Diablo's cage, and chased him around. Diablo has a tendency to run into walls, so he probably did just that and managed to fall out.
The cage has been re-enforced, and everything should be OK now.

cavykatie

Post   » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:25 pm

Hahaha, poor Diablo. He was run out of town! Tsk tsk.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:00 pm

What adventurers!

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:38 pm

It's been ages since I've updated this thread, so I thought I should do so.

Diablo passed away in my arms in the early hours of December 23rd, 2007. He had been losing motor control in the days prior to his death, due to the neurological problems caused by his previous ear infection. The night of his death, I found him lying on his side, unable to get up. I knew it was his time to go, so I held him for a few hours until he had passed.

Hannah developed a tumor in her dewlap in the summer of 2008. It grew rapidly larger, and Dr. Crum believed it was inoperable. We tried draining fluids from the tumor, but it filled back up rapidly. In the middle of August, she lost interest in food and became lethargic. I made the decision to have her put down, but she passed away of her own accord before I could make the appointment, on August 20th, 2008.

Snickers and Elsie continue to do wonderfully. Snickers has developed bladder stones, but they rarely bother him, so for now we are just leaving them be.

In September, I decided to start fostering for MGPR. My first foster was Scooter, a golden agouti & white silkie. He came to the rescue from a good Samaritan who had found him running around in her backyard and brought him to us. He was severely underweight and had respiratory problems, but by January, he was healthy enough to be adopted, and went to his new forever home. I've heard that his new mommy has now developed a liking for longhairs, and is interested in adopting another from the rescue!

After Scooter's adoption, the next few fosters came and went in rapid succession: Bella, Horus, Porthos, and D'Artagnon.

But one foster pig on the website really caught my eye.
His name was Mack, and he was deaf. He was up for adoption with his brother, Duff.

I immediately knew that I wanted to take them home for good.

When the foster pig I had at the time got adopted, I immediately brought home Mack and Duff, and got to enjoy my two most-anticipated fosters. They were both fantastic cuddlers, and some of the sweetest pigs around. Although I have not managed to convince my parents to adopt them, I'm enjoying their company while they stay with me.

When I heard that MGPR was asked to take 20 pigs from the DC shelter or they would be put to sleep, I knew I had to help. I volunteered to take a pair, and pulled Diablo's old 2X3 out of the attic. I soon brought home Faline and Bambi, a mother-daughter pair named in honor of the doe I saw die after being hit by a car on the way home from picking them up, and her two orphaned fawns.

Faline:

and Bambi:

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:37 pm

I'm sorry about Hannah, but the new ones are adorable. I love those baby ears!

3 Little Pigs

Post   » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Today it's been exactly a year since Hannah passed over the bridge.
She was one the most unique pigs I ever knew. I've yet to meet another one like her. She was feisty, and things always had to be her way. She knew she had a right to food, whenever she wanted it. She was the queen of the house, and even her fur reflected that -- she had a lovely tiara on her forehead, and a Mohawk to show her attitude.

I'll see you at the bridge, Hannah. I love you.

CavyCastle
Supporter in '10

Post   » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:45 pm

A beautiful tribute for a stunning girl!

I've been enjoying your thread. Thanks for sharing. :)

JaneDoe

Post   » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Anniversaries are hard. She was lovely.