The Relationship Between Pigs and Other Animals

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:38 am

Ladyveg - when I get a chance I´ll go thru my pics.....if I can find them in the 1000s of layers in my living room....

Lynx - that would require thinking and making decisions, activities I try not to dabble in. Maybe if inspiration hits me......

KarenKemp

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:21 am

Pinta,

I like your picture of PNE. She is a cutie. What does her name mean/stand for?

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:34 pm

She´s named for the Pacific National Exhibition, an "agricultural" fair held yearly in Vancouver where we got her. Peony/PNE. She spent her first evening with us in a box wrapped in jackets(to muffle the sounds) strolling the Midway. Came "this" close to riding on the roller coaster.

LJPiggies

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 3:45 pm

A piggie on a coaster! I can see it now - To much!

Alibabble

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2002 9:22 pm

My parent´s cat, Trixie, is terrified/intrigued by the presence of piggies. When Trixie was still kittenish she had a run in with our first pig, Samantha. Trixie was stretched out by the cage gazing at what she was hoping would be lunch. Samantha noticed that some strange creature was staring at her and ran over to the side to investigate. Once Samantha was convinced that this new creature was nothing to be excited over she popcorned and then ran away. Apparently a popcorning pig is not something that cats are used to dealing with... Trixie´s eyes got wide, she jolted up with her hair standing on end, and ran as far away from Samantha as she could get.

Trixie has adjusted since then. My brother´s girls are not at all interesting to her, she can´t even be bothered to peak in on them. My boys are a bit more exciting since they are rarely around. She likes to snuggle on my lap with them.

I think full grown guinea pigs are too large to be easy prey. She doesn´t seem to connect them with a possible food item once they are about two months old. Hamsters are another story...

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2002 10:31 am

Guinea pigs bite back.

One of my favorite stories about Max was the Christmas my mother got Smokey. Smokey was just a puffball then. My mother warned me to watch the kitten as I unpacked. I watched the kitten alright - watched the moron poke his paw at Max. Max chattered. The older cat sat on the sofa and just watched, pretending to be bored. He knew better. I warned the kitten not to do that. and he ignored me. So Max bit him. Never seen a cat fly so far so fast in my life. It was hysterical.

He left guinea pigs alone after that.

lisam

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:22 am

My cats are outdoor cats (we live on a small farm, you know). Only one wants to get into the house, and he did once, and our house rabbit thumped and warned everyone of his presence. He would eat whatever he could catch--he brings home full sized wild rabbits and disects them on the front lawn or the aisle way of the barn.

My rabbit (Dust Bunny) doesn´t really care about the guinea pigs. He will occasionally share some lettuce with Artoo, our only boar, who has floor time all by himself. But when the girls are out he disappears. Queen Amidala attacked him once, jumped on him and bit and kicked, and he ran off, terrified. So we either shut him in his cage or shoo him to another room when the girls have floor time.

My budgies, especially Dynomite, likes to visit the pigs in their cages. She got to know them when she was our only bird. She eats their hay and even their pellets, and tries to eat their hair. She pecks them if they bug her, and they are a little nervous about her, but have never challenged her in any way. Dynomite used to make their same vocalizations (at least as close as a budgie can), until we got Skyrocket, our other budgie. She gets insulted if I pass by her perch when I am passing out greens, and has been known to steal some parsley from the pigs.
Last edited by lisam on Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katn77

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:48 pm

When I was first constructing my pigs´ cage, I was all concerned about my 18-pound feline behemoth, Neko. So I made a "cat proof" cage with a top & fully securable door, the whole nine yards. After this effort, Neko proved to be the biggest weenie around. He was curious about the pigs, as any cat would be; but if either of the pigs walks up to give him a sniff or a wheek, he recoils and runs away. If the pigs are out on floor time, then Blurkie will charge after Neko to see what he´s about, and Neko will once again scoot out of the room. Apparently the hunting instincts skipped a branch on his family tree.

chyna_mn

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2002 4:14 pm

My cat is evil. lol well he is! I made a cube and coroplast cage without a cover and he constantly was in there chasing the pigs. We had another cube cage made and stacked that on top of the cage and he goes in the unused one and lays around, we´ve threatened to make that one his cage lol. I don´t think he wants to hurt them but he thinks they´re kittens or something and tries to play "kittenly" so he´s not allowed to be near them when they are loose.

Hopefully he´ll grow out of this kitten stage soon. He really is a terror sometimes. Now that he can´t get at the pigs he doesn´t seem to care about them. Whenever I give the girls lettuce he wants some too, however he just bats it around when I give him some. Anyone want a cat lol just kidding some days he just gets on my last nerve!

cavytopia

Post   » Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:49 pm

I love the picture of Cheddar in the basket with the piggies, pinta! Adorable!

We have 4 indoor cats. Muffin is so scared she won´t even come into the same room with them (she´s really timid and really only comes out when my husband is downstairs by himself). Moppet will sit on the table or the chair and look at them while their in the cage but is scared when they´re out of the cage and won´t come into the room. Mittens is pretty much disinterested in them and will glance and them and that´s it, though if they´re out she´s scared an leaves the room. Smokey is the boldest (at least while they´re in the cage) and will paw up at the hay which pokes through the cage bars and try to get the hay out -- if she gets a piece out she plays with it. She isn´t quite as scared as the other cats and will remain in the room if the piggies are out though she hides under the chair. But if one of the piggies gets near her she gets scared and we have to open the door to let her out.

We also have a dog. She watches the piggies through the cage but isn´t scared of them. We have let her sniff them when they are out of the cage. Our dog is a Beagle, which are pack dogs, and we wanted her to know that the piggies are part of her pack. Other than sniffing at them she doesn´t bother them. Though we will never have her unsupervised around them.

Alibabble

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2002 8:55 pm

Our family dog is quite good with all small animals. My pigs wander right up to Tanner when he is laying down and proceed to nibble on his fur, cuddle up to him, and generally make a nuisance out of themselves. Tanner responds by giving them kisses and being very careful not to step on them when he moves.

We´ve only had one minor "incident" with Tanner and the pigs. One day Sweetheart was sitting beside me on the floor and Tanner came into the room. He ran up to me and went to sit down beside me, he failed to notice that the seat was already occupied. As he sat down he landed partially on Sweetheart and knocked the air out of him in an audible woosh. Tanner was shocked to be sitting on something and got up and ran away complete with an angry, and rumblestrutting, Sweetheart following behind him.

pinta

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2002 9:11 pm

When the pigs and Cheddar are lounging on the bed he does occasionally gum them. I reprimand him with "Cheddar, stop chewing the pigs", which usually works. The pigs don´t seem overly concerned about being gummed. Occupational hazzard.