Fruit tree branches Question

wandamae

Post   » Tue May 26, 2009 8:20 am

I read on cavy cages.com you can give pigs fruit branches that have been aged 3 months to chew on. I have a mulberry tree in my back yard I was thinking of using to make them some homade chews for them.

Can they eat the leaves too?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 26, 2009 9:14 am

I heard they like fruit tree branches best when they are fresh.

Not many pigs really chew on these things. Won't hurt, I imagine, but likely won't interest them. Make sure you have plenty of high quality grass hay available 24-7.

lisam

Post   » Tue May 26, 2009 9:29 am

I'd do two searches--

One on google to see if mulberry branches are toxic, and one here at GL to see if there is a thread on this already.

wandamae

Post   » Tue May 26, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks, I got them the apple wood sticks from the store and they nibble on them from time to time, just was wondering if the leaves would hurt them. They eat everything else green I put in there.

lisam

Post   » Tue May 26, 2009 1:00 pm

Animals will often eat stuff they shouldn't.

Guineadaddy

Post   » Wed May 27, 2009 12:47 pm

I would not recommend the Mulberry branches.

I give mine citrus all the time, Orange, Grapefruit Lemon etc, make sure the tree has not been sprayed though.

wandamae

Post   » Thu May 28, 2009 9:07 am

Thanks, I will skip them then. I am not totally sure if there sprayed so I will just stick to cardboard tubes and homade stuff ,everytime I go to BJs I save all the boxes for them, which they LOVE, plus they think the coroplast is there for them to chew so they probably don't need them anyway.

HazelNut

Post   » Thu May 28, 2009 9:51 am

Ooh! They CAN have citrus branches? Why was I under the impression they couldn't? My mom's got several citrus trees I could cut branches from!

Andre

Post   » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Mulberry leaves are recommended for guinea pigs by scientist from FAO. See here : http://www.fao.org/ag/aga/AGAP/frg/Mulb ... lbwar2.htm

And this is a video confirmation :

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:08 am

I wonder if anyone knows an online store which sells apple, pear or some other edible fruit tree twigs? Our fruit trees in Belgium get heavily sprayed here, no way clipping some is possible.

JayPigz

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 am

What kinds of citrus branches can they eat? Can they have the branch with the leaves?

Harmony

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:54 am

I have had to improvise for food since I no longer have access to unlimited grass, and have found that hazel branches and leaves, and apple branches and leaves are liked, but they have to be completely fresh or are spurned. They also get brambles, fruit bush branches etc when I can find them. The only thing I dry for them is nettles.