Bladder Stone study

mmasters

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:39 pm

Apricot juice is useful for urinary tract/bladder infections just like cranberry juice. So, if your guinea pig hates the taste of cranberry juice, try apricot nectar.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:55 pm

You might want to read the stones page, Mmasters:

www.guinealynx.info/.html

We also have a calcium phosphorous calculator.

TX Rustlers

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:43 pm

I posted about Rolo on the Milkyway thread - he has just had 2 more really big stones removed and this is his 3rd cystotomy in 6 months.

He has the same diet as everyone else at the rescue, and I believe one other of his family members had a stone, Nestle. So I think some of his propensity to get stones is hereditory.

I do notice that he eats loads of pellets (Oxbow Cavy Cuisine) so I have removed them from his diet for now.

I did also have a sludge pig that did really well on the urocit as long as no dose was missed.

I read an article a while back that linked vitamin c to the formation of stones

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:11 pm

Vitamin C is supposedly linked to stones in rabbits. In this volume or the first edition:

Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents - Clinical Medicine and Surgery by Katherine E.Quesenberry DVM and James W. Carpenter (publisher Elsevier -- 2nd edition 2004)

TX Rustlers

Post   » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:57 pm

In people and dogs also

gizzy

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:25 am

just came across this re
C is supposedly linked to stones in rabbits.

i suppose it's is one of those things we may never get to the bottiom off ,

though the testing on humans could could indecate a better picture ???

VITAMIN C DOES NOT CAUSE KIDNEY STONES

http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources ... 1n07.shtml

roguebantha

Post   » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:29 am

I am struggling to make sense of the recommended Ca:P ratio.

It says on the Stones page that the vast majority of stones are Calcium carbonate.

However the recommended Ca:P ratio is 1.5-2 to 1.

Is this recommendation purely to reduce the risk of Phosphate stones, which apparently are not the main risk?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:32 pm

The ratio is the ideal ratio for calcium and phosphorus in the body. You might want to read here about minerals in the body (the bottom of the page explains about calcium in humans):

https://www.guinealynx.info/stones_questions.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Becky's Stone Diet recommendations were, I think, based on the information available at the time. As newer info has become available, it's a lot less clear whether or not a "balanced" (2:1) ratio of calcium to phosphorus plays any role at all in stone formation.

However, calcium and phosphorus are both important components of a balanced guinea pig diet, and the ratio can affect metabolism and bone health.

As far as a stone diet is concerned, though, many of us who have had pigs with sludge and stones are finding that a diet lower in overall calcium seems to help. There may also be a connection between calcium carbonate stones and excess calcium carbonate (limestone) in the diet.

moodysmom

Post   » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:53 pm

What is the the status of the bladder stone studies? Moody has a large stone and has been on a critical care/cranberry juice w/extra vitamin C diet (with baytril for any related uti/kidney infection issues) now for three weeks, but is passing sand and is having trouble urinating. Follow up x-rays are scheduled for next Friday.

His vet mentioned that goats often have success with ammonia chloride and non-steriodale anti-inflamitories. Does anyone know if this has been tried in cavies?

Moody is 5 1/2, so surgery is not out of the question.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:35 pm

I can't remember what kind of urinary calculi goats are prone to (struvite?), but the use of ammonium chloride is not used in the treatment of stones in guinea pigs.

Piggywig

Post   » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Jester has another bladder stone. This one is identical in size and shape and in the same place as one he somehow managed to pass this summer, the Saturday before he was to have surgery to remove it on Monday, bless him. I would never have thought he could pass such a thing.

I was unable to find the stone to have in analyzed, because I never, ever dreamed that he could pass a stone like this. I thought these photos might help someone, so I'm posting them here. Hopefully he can pass this one too. He is currently getting extra fluids, metacam, I believe it is butorphenol, and Baytril. Am going to get cranberry juice and corn silks tonight.

jesbladderstoneside by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

jesbladderstoneback by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

This one, bigger:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/friend2kit ... /lightbox/

He hasn't showed blood in his urine or signs of pain since his vet trip yesterday. I hope these radiographs will be helpful to someone.