older pregnant pig

anet

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:14 pm

Hello, new to this site. I have a female apx 3yrs old. Bought another young female (so i thought) about a month ago. I think my older pig is pregnant, she´s rather fat, and I have tried researching. I am worried that she´s older and may not be able deliver the babies, due to the pelvis fusing because she´s older. Anyone have any advise or info for me??? thanks Annette

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:24 pm

I assume she´s never littered before, right?

Definitely at a much higher risk for problems. Some would recommend a preventative spay, but all surgeries have a risk factor with these animals. It isn´t guaranteed that she won´t be able to deliver if pregnant, but the likelihood of complications is greatly increased.

An ultrasound, although pricy will diagnose pregnancy without hurting any possible babies. I´m not sure if an xray will do harm but if you are diagnosing with the intention of spaying if she IS pregnant - then it doesn´t make a difference.

Click on Guinea Lynx and read the pregnancy information.

Do you have a good exotics vet on hand?

Alfie

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:32 pm

Hi Anet

First of all, the most important question is whether the younger pig is a male or a female. Separate them immediately, and check out https://www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/h ... tml#sexing to see. There´s also a good link there to some more diagrams.

How long has she been "rather fat"? Has she gained weight when you weigh her? I´ve never had a pregnant pig, but I believe they only start to show around 4 weeks into the pregnancy. I assume that they weren´t quarantined, so in that case it would be possible that she conceived 4 weeks ago.

For tips on how to tell if she is pregnant, look at
https://www.guinealynx.info/guinealynx/b ... html#links

As for your concerns about her age, find a cavy-knowledgeable vet NOW. Based on what I know, she may (will?) need a caesarian section.

---
Sorry Pinta, you posted while I was responding...
Last edited by Alfie on Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anet

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:37 pm

Hi,
yes as far as i know she´s not had a litter before. I got her from humane society. I am really upset at the guy who sexed the young pig for me. I looked on the web and checked on how to sex. i have just looked at "shaggy", and i am seeing a male. I just thought she could use some company, and now am kicking myself, as she could very well not make it through this pregnancy.

Alfie

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:42 pm

Oh, dear. Pet shop, huh?

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:18 pm

How old is the young pig? Some males aren´t sexually mature till 8 weeks. Others are precocious and mature at 3 1/2 weeks although that is rare(but not unheard of).

She may not be pregnant at all.

I would ask the vet what the risks of an xray would be and go from there.

Peter

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:03 pm

Isn´t there a possibility that the sow could be sterile? After all, she´s gone three years and was (probably) never bred.

Best of luck.

Edit: Fixing grammar...
Last edited by Peter on Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:49 pm

Meanwhile make sure they are getting a good diet. Adequate vitamin C is especially important. I would read everything I could and line up a good vet in case you have an emergency. Keep in touch. Several people here have dealt with pregancies. A pregancy in an older pig carries more risks but could turn out alright.