Favorite Sounds

mon

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:23 pm

Actually the wheeking when I open the fridge or rustle a plastic bag is beginning to get on the nerves. I know they can´t possibly be hungry still as they´ve only just been fed and still have food in their cages!!!

Alibabble

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:39 pm

My boys tend to show off for company, they seem to easily pick out the people without pigs and try to turn them into pig people. When newcomers arrive my boys come to the side of the cage nearest to them and make occasional little noises as they are wandering around (the "tut-tut" noise). Then if someone rustles anything they wheek for food. This of course is followed by the newcomer being allowed to give them a treat of some sort (usually veggie or fruit).

Soon after the food has been obtained they will return to ignoring all people in the vicinity. Either that or they get into a squabble over the food and the visitor gets to witness rumblestrutting, head-butting, and the occasional nip. They´re better than t.v.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 19, 2002 10:31 pm

When I first was introduced to pigs, I thought their wheeks were absolutely charming and adorable. I still get a charge out of them. Since they don´t live near the refrigerator, they must make deliberate requests for food. I guess I don´t mind the occasional demands while I sit at my computer. Makes me feel needed and appreciated. They are most likely to wheek when I first enter the room or as I get up to leave (hey, why not have her bring back some veggies, no?).

my2piggies

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2002 2:37 pm

Lol, mine wheek when I leave too. I can sit with them all afternoon and they´ll completely ignore me. But as soon as I move to go I get a real earbashing "WHEEEEEEEEEK" and suddenly I´m the most popular person in piggiedom. That and the little burbling noise Suzy does as she trots about are my favourites.

pigpal

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:48 am

Alfie,
I must admit my pigs are very fond of grass, but I´ve never caught them smoking it.

As for the blond heiresses - I don´t think the boys would be too fussy about hair color, having been sequestered from the opposite sex for two years!

I love it when the "wheeks" become so enthusiastic they make the transition to "oinks".

ladyveg

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 6:54 am

My favorite is when I´m holding a pig that´s new to me, and petting and talking to him, and he cautiously starts making quiet churbling sounds back to me, while looking into my eyes as if we are having a conversation (we are). When I´m at a shelter, I always get the feeling that the pig is telling me where he´s been and asking me to take him home, recognizing that I fully respect and appreciate him! Of course, I know I´m anthromorphizing but let me hold on to my delusions.

I imagine it´s kind of a "Wait, she´s talking to ME? No one has talked directly to me in a long time. Hmmmmm, I suppose I could try saying something back."

You should see the gorgeous red Aby mix I picked up from a shelter this weekend while I was visiting my friend. Sweet, sweet, friendly boar with the cutest face and the softest fur!
Last edited by ladyveg on Mon Jan 21, 2002 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:38 am

I have Elsie who chirps, sings, oinks and whistles with a rare purr when you stroke her back. I think she appointed herself the spokeswoman for the group. She is the only one who whistles and wheeks when I come in the door with plastic bags.

Sophie, her mom rarely makes a sound. She has a way of communicating with her eyes and body - she lets me know when she wants food by climbing up the side of the cage and staring at me (I swear she knows how to make her eyes appear bigger when she does this!) until she gets something.

Angel screams as if she is being killed whenever I pick her up but once she is in my arms it´s non-stop purring from her!

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:42 am

Bar chewing grates on my last nerve (I only have one these days). Grrr.

I miss Max´s conversations. Rather like what you described, LV. That was a great sound. I also like the burbling sound when they´re exploring. And Steve´s oinks. And that purrrrr. I knew Jules and I would get along just fine when he purred for me before I even got all the way home.

First thing in the AM, I do NOT like to hear wheeking, but at least it´s just the one. Steve has let Julius be the alarm clock, and he gets louder and louder til I finally turn the snooze off and get up.

katn77

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:42 pm

RavenShade, at least you´re only awakened audibly... our dachshund puppy (spoiled little beast that he is) sleeps in our bed, and when he decides it´s time to get up, he just trots right up & starts chewing any exposed body part he can find. very disconcerting to be yanked out of slumber by fangs in your face.

that said, most irritating pig noise is quincy doing his OCD thing with the water bottle. he seems to love the sound of the ball rattling in the spigot, and he´ll push it up & down for 15 or 20 minutes if i don´t distract him.

the frenzied wheeking that the sound of a plastic bag elicits is my favorite.

ricky

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:39 pm

The pigs live in a room next to our bedroom, and I love to keep the door open and listen to them munch and drink and squeak and rumble around at night. If I have a hard time falling asleep, I concentrate on the sounds they make and it relaxes me.

RavenShade, I couldn´t agree more about the bar chewing. Have you ever tried one of those bad-tasting products meant to keep animals from chewing? I never have, I don´t trust what´s inside of the bottles, so instead their poor dental habits are rewarded with attention and treats to get them to stop.

I´m a guinea pig bar-chewing enabler.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:01 pm

These days Steve focuses more on his crocodile impersonation and waits for unassuming carrots to bash. I´m so glad he quit with the chewing. Not only did it get on my nerves, but I was worried about his teeth (got himself stuck once) and his jaw (heard horror stories about fractured jaws).

Alibabble

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2002 9:45 pm

The worst noise belongs to my brother´s guinea pigs. When they have finished their pellets in the food dish, or if they´ve simply dumped the dish out, they work together and get the bowls side by side. Then they nudge the bowls so that they clang together, producing this hideous clang/ring sort of noise. I take it to mean "Give me more pellets! I know I have hay, and veggies, but I want pellets!!!"