opinions on cabbage

chyna_mn

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:08 pm

I see cabbage and red cabbage listed on the CG shopping list. doesn´t that cause gas? i´m on my way to the store and want to get something high in vit. c but not something gaseous... suggestions?

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:12 pm

From what I understand, cabbage is not very high in C. In small amounts, it,s ok, but too much can cause gas. Because nursing human mothers should not eat it (it causes gas in babies), I wouldn´t buy that for your nursing sow.

If you want something really high in C, I´d go for bell peppers, especially the red ones. Nursing mothers and babies can also benefit from additional calcium, so I would grab parsley too (actually not bad in C, either) and alfalfa.

mon

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:12 pm

I have read somewhere (don´t remember where) that cabbage is bad for them. Aparently bloats them. Can someone else clarify this??

chyna_mn

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:13 pm

ok good thanks. i was planning on getting the parsley. i have alfalfa hay. what about alfalfa sprouts? i know there was a thread somewhere on that but i´ve lost it. they also get grass as fast as it grows back.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:15 pm

It´s what you call alfalfa hay. Hay is dried grass. Alfalfa is a legume, so technically it´s not hay. But I know what you mean. That´s what I meant.

chyna_mn

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:17 pm

but i meant the sprouts... you know the ones you can buy at the grocery store. people put them on salads? interesting on the legume part... i did not know that =)

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:20 pm

No. What you need to supplement them with is alfalfa "hay", not the sprouts.

You are feeding them grass hay, too, right? Alfalfa is a supplement only. It´s too high in calcium to be part of the regular diet and can lead to bladderstones. It´s a good supplement for pregnant or nursing mothers and for young pigs.

chyna_mn

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:24 pm

ok yes i have alfalfa ´hay´ in one hay rack and timothy in the other. I have a tray of grass growing and as it gets long enough i cut it and feed them that, every couple days. i was thinking of the alfalfa sprouts as a veggie but now thinking about it that might be too much calcium, i think that´s what you´re trying to point out there. I´ll just get a couple red peppers and some parsley. I´m going ´real´ grocery shopping tomorrow we just ran out of greens for the pigs so i have to go now.

If you have any more suggestions on good vegies that are high in c that you´ve had luck with let me know. i don´t know about that list anymore... thanks

off to the store i go.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:31 pm

No. What I´m trying to say is that I don´t know about the sprouts, but dried alfalfa is ok for the new family.
I´m also trying to say that you shouldn´t feed it as part of the regular diet (to adult, non-nursing pigs). It is a supplement only.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:32 pm

Oh, and I feed a whole lot of veggies. Variety is what you should go for.

chyna_mn

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:04 pm

oh ok. I only just started the alfalfa when i found out Penelope was pregnant. but again they get timothy too, they actually seem to prefer the timothy. the veggies i have tried are Romaine, spinach, parsley, pea pods, raddicchio, cilantro, kale and oranges. I´m thinking I´ll give a half an orange a week? to make sure they don´t get sores, they sure chow it down. it´s funny because Sheba tries to eat as much as she can because she knows if she doesn´t Penelope will eat it all =) I´ve never tried red bell peppers, i don´t care for bell peppers myself. but got two tonight. we´ll see how they like them and the store was out of parsley so i got romaine for now, i´ll get parsley tomorrow. thanks for any input on which veggies have worked for you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:36 pm

I think small amounts of cabbage might be okay (moderation is always the key) though I have heard also it can cause gas. My pigs will not touch the stuff so there is no danger at all.....