Male guinea pig near Lexington, KY

kywildpigs

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:08 pm

I have a male guinea pig who is approximately a year old that I need to rehome. I am in the Lexington, Kentucky area.

I have four guinea pigs of my own. My friend's mother in law had a guinea pig who belonged to her 7 year old son, and apparently this kid has had issues with hurting animals. Naturally, I'm the one that was called to see if I could take the pig. Since I was afraid of this guinea pig getting hurt by this child, I agreed to take it.

However, I was told it was a girl. My plan was to try to put this guinea pig with my girls. I do have an intact male who lives with a spayed female, but I'm positive that will not work. I do not see how two intact males can live in harmony with a female, spayed or not. The spayed female cannot live with my other girls because they've been in physical fights before, and I wouldn't want to separate her from her bonded mate. (She was spayed before I adopted her, if you're wondering!)

If anyone is interested in this boy let me know. He's really sweet, and according to the previous owner, has never bit anyone. I was told if it didn't work out, I could take the pig back to the previous owner, but if the child in the home is showing signs of being violent with animals, I would rather not. Help?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Great hair!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:47 pm

If all else fails, you could contact the GP rescue in Sellersburg, IN. I could be wrong, but I think she has a contact in Lexington who sometimes does transport up to Sellersburg.

kywildpigs

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 pm

Thank you for the info. I read another post that said they are full but it was a few months old.

This guy is really sweet. He comes up to me and lets me pet on him.

His fur on his butt is really matted though. It looks like I'll have to cut off some of that awesome hair.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:47 am

It'll grow back. :-)

Thank you so much and bless you for helping this little guy. At least your friend's mother in law saw the signs and got help before he was hurt any more, or badly injured.

Please please do not take him back to that home. We'll do all we can to help you find a good home for him.

There was a Cincinnati rescue as well that might be able to help. Not sure if they are still active or not.

Any idea how old he is?

kywildpigs

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:50 am

I was told that they've had him about a year and they got him when he was a baby.

Another thing... his belly is yellow. I bathed him and it's still a little bit yellow. I can't really see the skin on his belly because the fur is thick but the area around his nipples looks fine, not inflamed or anything.

I'm probably gonna have him seen by my vet before I pass him on to anyone else. I wouldn't want to pass on a sick piggy to anyone. I will be doing that today if I can get in or next week. Starting on the 14th it'll be a lot harder for me to do anything because my final semester starts and I'm gonna be a busy bee during the day!

kywildpigs

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:51 am

I also cut out most of the matted fur off his rump, but there's still some there. He did NOT like that at all. Poor thing. He does smell a lot better though!

seraphanjil

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:04 am

Wish he could get up to NJ. I'm a sucker for long haired piggies!

kywildpigs

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:51 pm

He was vetted today and he's healthy!! I do have to put drops in one of his eyes that was a little crusty, but overall he's excellent.

He's SO sweet. I hope someone offers to take him before I fall in love with him. He's in the cage he came in, which is so tiny. I've given him a cozy and a towel draped over the side for a place to hide.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 am

The yellow is probably just staining, from not being cleaned regularly; poor quality bedding, etc. We've had that happen with pigs in from AC's.

It will clean itself off as his hair naturally grows/replaces itself.

Thank you for taking him to the vet, and again, bless you for helping him out.

kywildpigs

Post   » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:42 pm

It's official. I'm in LOVE. I knew this would happen. It's gonna be hard to let him go if I do find someone to take him. My vet is supposed to contact a lady for me but I haven't heard anything yet.

I've been brainstorming ways to expand my cage and everything. I have enough materials for a 2x2 cage, which I know isn't enough for one pig but it's much bigger than what he has.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:11 am

It's a start. We had one in a 2x2 for quite a while post-quarantine while I arranged space for him. He seemed to be fine with it. He didn't run laps but he moved around a lot.