Microchipping Guinea Pigs

rkog

Post   » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:47 am

I think this could lead to even worse outcomes for abandoned pigs - owners either ripping the chips out (painfully) before abandonment or deciding they are better off killing the pigs to avoid sanctions.

My vet doesn't chip pigs, but he does birds. There was a lose Amazonian parrot in the subdivision across the street, and one of my daughter's teachers lost a bird (parakeet) because someone opened the door and it escaped.

pig party

Post   » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:37 am

My pigs didn't have to be micro chipped to travel by air, they were accompanied though.

We've had a problem here with micro-chipping dogs - they've been chipped, but not registered, so was probably just done as a money making thing.

It's being investigated as to who has been doing it; here or Athens. We've got a massive stray dog problem so it sounds like the sort of thing that would be a good idea but it really hasn't solved anything and someone has just made a load of cash out of it

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:55 am

Pig party in which country did your pigs fly?

pig party

Post   » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:15 am

I brought them from the UK to Rhodes, Greece, via Athens. All 19 of the little furries.

It's a kind of funny story. The airline had booked too many critters on and didn't have room for them. They wanted to leave them behind and fly them on later, to which I got real mad about (I'd had them booked for 3 months in advance and we were all boarded and ready to go). Fortunately I was flying them with a real good outfit and after some negotiation (I refused to fly without them so it was all going to cause massive delays) they went first class! I was back in economy while the piggies were up front!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Very cool! (and cute that they flew first class!)

pig wrangler
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:20 pm

If the chips have transmitters for locating and identifying the pigs it would be useful to see which pig is napping in which castle or pigloo without having to wake them up by lifting their cover.

Other than that, there is no real need for microchipping. Only 2 of the pigs have drivers licenses, and they have been responsible and come home when before their curfew. The 'bad girl' Lisa, has been grounded and must stay in the house for the past few years after trying to hitch-hike to the organic veggie stand in Escondido.

clairey

Post   » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:31 pm

Hee, piggies in first class. I can imagine them with their feet up drinking a tomato juice with a celery stick in it.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:54 am

Pig party I was required by the USDA for their flight in the US. Maybe that was another difference.

pig party

Post   » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:04 am

Yes, I think I'd have more problems taking them in the other direction, ie back into the UK.

My biggest hassle with Greek customs (which I obviously sorted out before hand) was repeatedly being asked 'what's a guinea pig?' I still don't think it's what they were expecting when they turned up - I think they thought they were royalty when they arrived first class!!

My husband grumbled all the way about having less leg room than the critters ;)

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:52 am

hahaha, I had to ship my babies pet safe cargo.

Brambles

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:30 am

How did your piggies do during and after the travel? Were they all okay, not too stressed?

I might need to travel from South-America to Europe some time soon... I always figured I'd have to leave my guinea pigs behind with family here, but maybe not.

PiggiesnPuppies

Post   » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:26 am

No they were fine. They ate all the hay and food that I put in the cage before I dropped them off, the airline fed them twice for me and they we popcorning and squeaking when I put them into their cages upon arriving "home". They never stopped eating and never had any soft poops. The airline did a great job!