Guinea pig ding-a-ling...cauliflower willy? help?

meganmarie

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 pm

So...I have a male guinea pig, named Winter. And...im pretty sure he has cauliflower willy. The rescue i got him from said he did, and it was totally fine. But with cauliflower willy...(excuse my lack of finesse) is the tip of his penis supposed to be malformed? I want to post pictures but not sure if im allowed...Someone help? May i post the pictures?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Post the pics. No way for us to know what you're seeing, otherwise.

meganmarie

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:58 pm

thanks so much. give me one moment...

meganmarie

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:34 pm

Last edited by meganmarie on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

meganmarie

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:37 pm

meganmarie

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:37 pm

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:55 pm

It does look like the head of his penis is an abnormal shape. He may have been born with it that way, or it may be the result of an injury. If he's peeing ok, I wouldn't worry about it. If not, or if it even interferes with urination, then you should see a vet.

Just be sure to keep him clean in that area. It's easy for poop and urine to get in the folds of that kind of skin and eventually set up an infection.

meganmarie

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:00 pm

i'm worried about it affecting his piggy lifestyle...He does pee fine, though. I just worry about him walking around and his ding-a-ling getting scratched up. To tell you the truth my boyfriend is even more worried about it(lol) he said that it could get raw and sore. Do pigs with this issue usually do pretty good?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Yes, it could get raw and sore if it's protruding. I didn't realize that was the case.

Do you regularly clean the sheath of his penis? Pigs can get a lot of gunk up there, depending on what kind of bedding they're on, and sometimes it will interfere with retraction of the penis.

And some pigs just have protruding penises for whatever reason -- sometimes it's never known what it is. There's one pig on this board that wound up having a loose cross stitch in the foreskin to keep the penis from being extruded all the time. Unfortunately, I can't remember which pig it was, but maybe someone who can will come along and post a link to the thread.

meganmarie

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:29 pm

Well we just adopted him on wednesday. I took him out for a bath(on friday) and started reading up on proper 'upkeep' for males. When i did clean it, i used warmed water, a soft hand towel, and q-tips. After i cleaned it, i put some petroleum jelly on the shaft and a little on the tip(to keep it safe from injuries and chafing, maybe?)

It is LITERALLY protruding at all times. The tip is out and it will not go in, i think, due to the shape of it. It almost has a 'blooming flower' shape? Im worried because his urethra is totally exposed.

Also, i don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. If it is no big deal, i don't want to put him through more stress than needed. But i am worried how this maybe effecting his life style, or him when he gets to be an older pig. He's only about a year now, and all-in-all, seems very healthy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:02 pm

If this will help any, here's a video on cleaning males. http://s226.photobucket.com/user/brimst ... 5.mp4.html

I don't have a lot of experience with boars, but here's my $.02. If it's not bothering him (isn't red, sore, infected, etc.), I'd just leave him. But I'd probably bed him on fleece and keep his cage very clean to prevent him from getting any sort of infection.

If he does show signs of discomfort or infection, then you need to see a good exotic vet.

My guess is that it's a deformity that he was born with -- the condition in humans is known as hypospadias or epispadias, depending on where the urethra opens out.

And FYI, I think I'd use K-Y jelly rather than petroleum jelly to lubricate the shaft.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:19 pm

We had an older male with that problem. I don't know if his penis always looked that way, or if it became that way as he got older -- he was already 6+ years old when we got him. It required regular cleaning by soaking his bottom in a few inches of warm water w/ a few drops of mild soap, and working any debris loose once a week or so. The biggest issue, other than keeping it clean, was that he tended to 'dribble' when he urinated, and we needed to watch for urine burn/skin irritation.

Otherwise, he did okay.