Guinea pig ding-a-ling...cauliflower willy? help?

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:41 am

ImageImage

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:41 am

oops...talk about the smallest pictures ever. :( sorry!

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 am

So Winter is starting to have problems. The only is, i think the problem is the direction his penis lays. As it is outside of him, he has started just peeing down the right side of him. It's the same spot everytime, and it is under him. His fur was getting soaked in pee because of how his ding-a-ling lays, and i'm worried. I give him about 1 butt bath a week. But he is a white pig, and his fur on the right side of privates is always stained yellow now. I'm worried about a rash developing, or it just becoming sore from being soiled constantly.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:32 am

What you can do is trim the hair really really close (shave?) and perhaps after the bath, proactively treat for urine scald by applying a small amount of Desitin or other ointment sparingly to protect the skin.

www.guinealynx.info/_scald.html

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm just worried about trimming him. I know i can do it, but isn't his fur almost like another 'protective' barrier? Its right on the bottom of him and i'm worried that would be worse to take that hair away....i don't know. I'm not trying to sound like i'm being rude, i just want to make sure i'm making a good decision. Why would you take away that hair?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:18 pm

You would take away that hair so it does not stay wet and harbor bacteria which could contribute to developing a UTI. It may be hard to do it safely (you don't want to cut any skin, of course). If it smells, it is already promoting the growth of bacteria.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:34 pm

Ohhhh okay. I get it. I don't know why i didn't think of that. The pee is being held against him by his fur, and by taking that away it will make him feel better and there's less chance for infection. Got it. *sigh* Sorry, haha, i guess that's why you guys are here.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:42 pm

Moisture does promote the grown of bacteria. With less hair, you will keep the area drier.

meganmarie

Post   » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Yes. Thank you, Lynx! : )

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:36 am

We have one with a prolapsed penis, and this happens to him sometimes, too.

1. Make sure the member isn't being "kinked" (for lack of a better way to put it :-p) by a sperm rod or piece of boar glue, etc. inside.

2. Ditto Lynx; trim the hair down as close as you can without nicking his skin.

3. We rinse the inside of his leg off at least once a day with a paper towel soaked in warm water. Quick and easy; not as effective as a butt bath but much easier to do quickly and as part of a regular care routine -- so you're much more likely to keep up with it.

4. You can also use silver sulfadiazene cream on the inside of the leg. We've used this for lots of things and it usually works extremely well. Use only a thin layer, don't glob too much on.

meganmarie

Post   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Crap, i remember going to check this thread on GL this last weekend, got distracted, and forgot i opened it. I cleaned him very well yesterday. Nothing unusual, just his normal 'smegma', that is usually there. I cleaned it, and put lube on it. After him freaking out(i wouldn't want some one touching me there, either!) i wanted to let him relax for the rest of the night.

I think i'm going to wait for this next sunday to actually shave him, though. We have a family party on saturday, and sunday is the only day my boyfriend will be available to help, and i believe this will be a two person job.

Talishan, we actually have silver sulfadiazene cream. But it is prescription strenght(awhile back i got a very bad burn...). Do you think that would be okay to use, still? : / i'm gonna have to find it.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:38 pm

Find it and let us know what the concentration is. Also the expiration date.

I'm pretty sure it only comes in one concentration. It is technically supposed to be a prescription med -- sorta kinda. It's not available over the counter, but from some medical supply places you can get it without a prescription.

Most meds are actually good for quite a while past their listed expiration date.