Pepino's Medical Thread, Starting with Mites

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:03 pm

This was Pepino’s original medical thread, but he didn’t have a name then because I wasn’t sure I was gonna be able to keep him: viewtopic.php?p=2165516&highlight=boar#2165516

Lately he had been scratching, losing hair and not gaining weight so I took him to the vet. She said it didn’t look like mites because he wasn’t scratching at the moment and he didn’t shriek/seize when touched. She insisted on a skin scrape but agreed to treat for mites, even if the scrape showed none. Sure enough, it was mites. She treated him with Revolution and he is on Sulfamethoxazole for two weeks.

Since he has lost weight I have been feeding him extra to plump him up and feeding Patapsco extra to plump him up a little, too. Apparently Patapsco is more sensitive to overfeeding than Pepino and looked a little uncomfortable, however, I bought him some parsley, which he started to chow down on immediately.
Vet sez to call her in a week and treat him again with Revolution one month later.

As in Ciaytee’s case, it’s probably best to treat for mites, even if they don’t show up on the skin scrape: https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:21 pm

I wouldn't agree to have a skin scrape for mine. It hurts the pig, costs me money, and is wrong half the time. I'd rather just treat for mites and be done with it.

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:28 pm

I didn't realize skin scrapes were that inaccurate. Vet wanted to see what all it showed, as his skin looked so bad.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:44 pm

The LB's vet wanted to do skin scrapes but after the first one I wouldn't let him. I just got the premeasured Ivo and treated the nasty little things. Her vet finally stopped trying to scrape and just gave me what I asked for.

She always cleared up after 3 treatments. I believed in a bit of over-kill but it never harmed her.

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:46 pm

I believe at least two treatments are the standard. Vet suggested three.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:50 pm

Yea vet!

JaneDoe

Post   » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:55 pm

He's such a sweet boy, I hate to see him suffer.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:52 am

After less than one week on Revolution/Sulfamethoxazole, Pepino's skin looks much better and he's gained six ounces. I look on it as an early Christmas present.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:43 am

Excellent. Carry on.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun May 10, 2015 1:54 pm

Patapsco had a check up the other day and Pepino went along for the ride.

Vet is VERY pleased with his weight gain and hair re-growth. Neither he nor Patapsco show any sign of ringworm or staph, thank G-d.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 11:14 am

Wonderful news. Carry on. :-)

JaneDoe

Post   » Mon May 11, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks, Talishan.