Stories of the Puffy-Pigs! Part 3

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 1:17 pm

I think he was much older than you thought, when you first got him. And boy can you SEE how skinny he was in the pictures. It really is amazing that you managed to give him even a year (in my professional, long-distance opinion).

That said, what a year! What a happy, chill, stress-free, sunny year. We should all be so very lucky to go out that way.

<3

Regiane
Cavy Slave Since '08

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 2:59 pm

Lucky pig having this second chance with tons of love and care.

C Cole-Chakotay

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 4:00 pm

What a beautiful tribute to Franklin.

tashab

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 8:58 pm

I'm sorry you didn't get as much time with Franklin as you would have liked. It sounds like he thought your home was a kind of heaven for good piggies.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 13, 2015 9:13 pm

I am so sorry for your loss, serelixyue. He was a lovely guinea pig and you gave him such wonderful care. I am sure he enjoyed his time with you.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 3:25 am

Again so sorry for your loss of Franklin. It's never easy to lose a pig as each one is special in his/her own way. I'm glad Franklin got to live out the end of his days, short though it was with you and your wonderful herd.

Brainerror

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 4:22 am

He really reminds me of Truffle in both looks and behaviour. I was very lucky to snorgle his soft fur and see him peek through his window <3

clairey

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 10:07 am

What a lovely pig Franklin was. I'm sorry you didn't get longer together.

The weight loss (and scary hip bones) but with a great appetite and attitude is what I'm experiencing with Robert. Maybe Franklin was older or maybe he'd had stones before which had damaged his kidneys or had a poor diet or whatever but at least he ended his days a happy and pampered piggy. That's the important thing.

serelixyue

Post   » Thu May 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Yeah, just to illustrate how horrific it is, imagine placing your thumb and index finger on either side of his hips, as you close your fingers in, your fingers actually TOUCH from either side of his hips if it weren't for the skin in between.

clairey, yes you're right, it must be some inherently defective absorption problem, sigh.

I also wanted to thank AldenM, and Brainerror who helped me (gently) to put things in perspective when it came to making that choice. I haven't been on GL recently...most of my updates are through facebook.

He was really special.

peta

Post   » Sat May 16, 2015 7:14 am

What a lovely tribute to a lovely pig. It sounds like he lived life to the full. At least his crappy start in life was made up for by a wonderful time with you :)

Sasha the pig

Post   » Sat May 16, 2015 9:49 pm

I am so sorry :(.

serelixyue

Post   » Mon May 18, 2015 8:56 am

I just wanted to share some videos,

This is one of my favourites of him, it really captures how warm and interactive he is. He just kept circling my hands, offering to help, making inquisitions...walking over the camera...when he stood on tip toes it's because the food bowl is upstairs, aww..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1xriwatIts

This was from earlier, about 2 months ago he had a stroke and collapsed, his glucose levels plummeted and it was quite a scary sight, miraculously he came round after intensive care at the hospital, he came back sweeping and was loving his critical care with a little milk powder (Ensure, vanilla flavor) in there for extra nutrition (vet says no worry about lactose intolerance as it is just a small proportion and it's more important he got the nutrients). You can see in particular how narrow he is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3yBq2r ... e=youtu.be

This was a day before I put him down, he was on a bunch of aggressive treatments including painkillers and even potassium citrate, which was supposed to change the composition of his urine in hopes of dissolving the stone..but it just got worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5IGdMQjehM