Further Tales From The Pigpen

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:21 pm

Selecting good pics is also tough. In the last calendar, for example, there are a few that did not print as well as I had hoped and then there are a few fabulous pics. MildredM's photos, for example, are consistently wonderful (crisp, clear, colorful, and fun).

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:43 am

What a difference a bit of sunshine makes. I would love to be able to hold Graham and get the full effect of his size. All mine are underweight in comparison, with the heaviest sow weighing -in at a mere 790g and my lightest - my mystery illness pig is a mere 520g.

clairey

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:17 am

I'm going to try to take their vital statistics at some point. I'm curious myself as to how much bigger G's frame actually is and how much is floof and posture.

clairey

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:51 pm

I needed a distraction so I took some very rough measurements. In terms of circumference, both pigs are pretty much the same round the belly and the armpits and even between the ears.

Graham stands about 4 or 5cm taller to the top of his head than Simon. Posture accounts for some of it but G's forelegs are also a good centimetre longer. Initial readings indicate Graham is about 13 inches long nose to tail, probably more when stretched. Simon is about 11 inches, maybe a touch less. That seems right. G can get his head clear over the grids when he's on his back legs, Simon can only get his nose over.

So there we have it. Simon would look like a reasonably big pig next to anyone else!

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Oh my! That was very brave, measuring circumferences!

Love their little woolly hats, just the job for winter :)

clairey

Post   » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:41 pm

In this picture we have bum lump A (later identified as Simon), bum lump B which is Graham and C indicates the regulation boarly gap between the two.

My old chronicle told me that it was such a fleece tent in winter time that originally encouraged Stephen and Alan to sleep together. So I did the same again. For the first 10 days or so it was very much one in, one out but there's been definite progress over the past two nights.

That side of the cage is next to a heater so it'll be nice and cosy under there. It must have something going for it because the current lean of the bum lumps seems to indicate some non-touching synchronised cashewing. Which is quite obviously not snuggling because boars don't so that. *whispers* Yet.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:53 am

Oooooo! Bum-bumps! What a wonderful thing to behold. There will be cuddles, now they have some privacy!

So, so funny!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:16 pm

Well, you don't want it TOO cozy. I know that in the winter with extra blankets and the heat on it can get pretty uncomfortable occasionally!

clairey

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:18 pm

A blurry but accurate representation of the usual teatime jostle. Simon likes to lean into Graham for balance and, after a few toppling incidents, Graham has learned to keep his centre of balance low to accommodate him.

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:16 pm

That is ADORABLE. I love when animals help each other!

clairey

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:25 pm

It took G a while to realise Simon wasn't trying to shove him out of the way.

Their friendship is moving along nicely. The rumbling has a nice companionable tone and Simon tucks his head right under Graham's chin and moves back and forth. In other words gives him chinnies. That's very nearly as good as ear grooms to Graham.

Oh and you know you're a crazy pig lady when: your orange pig gets so relaxed during laptime that he tends to fart. Which delights you because knowing what works for him might be handy if he ever has bloat. *rolls eyes*

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:35 pm

Aw, that is awfully sweet!