2 girls looking for new home in Calgary, AB

MusketeersPlus2
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:43 pm

I never thought I'd be someone who had to rehome my pets, but it's come to that with my girls. Ember and Coco are nearly 2 years old and come with everything piggy related. Their habitat is a 2x4 C&C cage with a 1x2 loft. Piggy beadspreads for the bottom & towelling on top (2 of each), ceramic food bowl, pig-loo, 2 cozy cocoons, a corner hammock, 2 litter boxes and hay racks - 1 small, 1 large.

I've spent 6 months with doctors trying to figure out why my breathing is getting bad, and through journaling, testing and trial & error, it's them. I just can't do the combination of hay and their hair long-term. I'm not in a huge hurry because I'd rather live with this longer than not find them a good home. I'm asking a $200 rehoming fee, mostly because of all the stuff they come with.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:52 pm

Have you tried a different kind of hay? Guinea pigs are pretty non-allergenic, but timothy hay causes reactions in a lot of people. It might be worth trying orchard, meadow, or blue grass before you give up on your girls.

MusketeersPlus2
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:57 pm

Every kind I can find. Apparently I'm reacting to 'grass'. I knew when I got them that alfalfa didn't like me, but I figured that out with an alfalfa based food instead. The worst part is that it's the days I do a complete clean out/change of bedding that's really bad, so they're suffering because I leave it longer than I should.

(Not that they're actually suffering - it's 5-6 days between rather than an ideal 3-4. But still.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:09 pm

Have you tried having someone else wet down the hay and give it to them?

MusketeersPlus2
Supporter in '15

Post   » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:15 pm

I live alone, it's not feasible unfortunately. Otherwise I'd have someone else do the cleaning too!