Getting a yard sale guinea pig?

Mackenzie

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:18 pm

I have had two male guinea pigs for about a year and a half now. This said, I wasn't planning on adopting another one. However, I was scrolling through my local yard sale site when I saw a guinea pig. The saler was advertising it as being 6 months old and they had no clue what it's gender was! From the picture they posted, it looked like it was living in a store bought cage, and they even said that they had no interest in the guinea pig at all. I'm really torn on whether or not I should try to save the little guinea pig because they won't tell me the gender of it and I don't know if my other two would get along with it. I have PLENTY of space (5x9 C&C cage) to house it, I'm just not sure though. I would obviously seperate and quarantine it and take it to my exotic vet for a checkup, but I still don't know of it's behavior. Should I buy it off of them not knowing this or its health? I'm not too concerned about the gender since I could just see when I went to pick it up.

afdani1984

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:38 pm

That's a tough call. Are they actually asking for money, or are they offering it "free to good home?"

I mean, if it was me...and this is just because I'd be thinking about all the awful people or situations he/she could end up in...I'd probably do it, get the pig checked out and after quarantine and depending on genders of existing and new pig, see if they would bond. If not, I feel like I have enough resources to find it a good home. I guess some of it too just depends upon your funds and if it was opposite gender from your herd whether you could spay/neuter first.

I get that sometimes situations change and people need to re-home, but the fact they outright say in the ad they have no interest in the animal....why get it in the first place?

Mackenzie

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:08 pm

They're asking $25 for it, including their so called "cage". Money and funding really isn't an issue when it comes to the guinea pigs and their supplies. However, I am afraid that if the guinea pig turns out to be a girl, she could possibility die during the spaying surgery? I have two males as well, and I don't know if a 2 male to 1 female is a good ratio to have? I'll take a closer look into it though, and set up a meet up so I can determine it's actual gender. :) thanks!

afdani1984

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Yeah, typically it's one boar to a herd of sows. Even neutered, more than one boar with a sow around, they will fight over her. Yes, there's also a risk with surgery. But your vet would be able to determine if she's healthy enough to take that risk. Even if she was a girl and it turned out you couldn't keep her, maybe you'd have better luck finding someone responsible to take her.

I'm totally not trying to convince you to go swoop in and save this little pig though. Lol. I'll be interested to hear more once you set up a meeting.

Mackenzie

Post   » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:22 pm

I'll be sure to update on here, once I figure all the details out!

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:07 am

Good lord--what people don't think of. Good luck to both of you.

Mackenzie

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:17 pm

I'm going to pick the guinea pig up right now! I sent them a message on how to tell what sex it was, and it's a male! I verified that they had done it correctly just in case. However, I do have one more question. Should I quarantine him just until I can get him to the vet for a checkup? Or should I quarantine him for a few weeks, even if he gets a good report from his checkup?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Quarantine for the full three weeks. The vet can't tell whether he's harboring any disease organisms that might cause problems in the next few weeks.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Congratulations and good job on rescuing him. Thank you.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:52 am

Aww. Thank you for taking this little guy in.

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:39 pm

I'm so glad you were able to take him in! Very much looking forward to hearing updates as one of ours was rescued from a similar situation. He was going to be sold at a garage sale as snake food. Fortunately, someone with a soft spot for piggies overheard what was happening, stepped in and took him to a rescue.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:46 am

Thank you and bless you. You have saved his life, make no mistake.