Would anyone be interested in 2 females in Massachusetts?

Matty86

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:04 am

So after 6 weeks we've come to the conclusion that I'm allergic to hay, and my gf is allergic to guinea pigs... lol

Pretty bummed out and not sure what we'll do. I want to keep them and have been wearing medical gloves when I put hay in the cage, but I think even the smell of it still makes me sneeze (is that possible??). My gf wants to find a new home for them because she can't go near them anyways.

If anyone from this site is nearby and would want them with all of the supplies we have for them please let me know. I'm not sure if we will try to rehome them outside of the site, I'm too afraid that they'll land in a bad situation. You can also email me, my email is the same as my name here, @gmail.com

Sarita33

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:28 am

Sorry to hear that. I am at my limit so I can't take them unfortunately.

Have you tried a different type of hay? When we first got our pigs I thought my daughter was allergic however come to find out she is allergic to Timothy hay. So I cleaned every trace of it out and switched to Orchard grass and she was fine. She never handled the hay but just the trace from touching the pigs and the dust in the air was enough. Might be worth a shot while you look for a home. Good luck!

Matty86

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:29 am

I'll look into that! I've only heard anyone mention the Timothy hay, going to do some research!

Sarita33

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:34 am

Mine have been on Orchard grass exclusively for around 10 months. It took a day or two for the pigs to adjust to the change but after that they devoured it.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:56 am

I am SO allergic to Timothy hay. Gives me a constant wheezy cough. It was brutal. I've done much better with orchard grass. If you're in MA, you could try Sweet Meadow Hay's meadow hay. I've also heard of oat hay.

greysome

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:05 pm

I don't think oat hay is recommended as the main source of hay though someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best of luck to you and here's hoping that the switch to a different grass hay will work things out!

Sarita33

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:58 pm

@greysome I believe you are correct. Oat hay should not be used as a main hay.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:51 pm

I know of someone very allergic to grass hays who switched to oat hay. The piggies seem to be doing well, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's recommended. That's only one data point.

Matty86

Post   » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:43 pm

We're doing much better! We moved them a little further from the couch so the hay doesn't bother me, and my gf puts it in their cage. She's okay with them as long as she doesn't hold them but she can be near them it seems like. Which is okay, they were more for me anyways lol.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 pm

That is great! You might also consider getting an air purifier to try to eliminate any airborne irritants.