Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:41 pm

Are they all siblings? This could be a heart condition. Heart conditions are more common that most people believe. They can go on heart meds to increase their longevity and comfort. You may want to read up on the medical page about this.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:43 pm

I wonder about a heart condition too. I am so sorry she is having these problems.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks for the replies WICharlie and Lynx. Yes they are all siblings but on Jupiter is having problems.

Went to the vet and saw a different vet who was really nice. She saw Jupiter's rapid heart rate, and heard noise in the chest.

As for heart meds even if a piggy was on death's door a vet would not prescribe them!

Jupiter is on Baytril for two days-she got injection at vet. we have to touch base with vet on Friday. She said Jupiter may have infection but that's not to say she might not have an underlying problem.

At least Jupiter is a little better from this morning, I can tell you one thing for sure-I will NEVER cut her claws again. Vet can do it!

Vet warned me about stressing her too much to the point where she can't breathe. Didn't need that warning as that is how we lost Jemma and a rabbit and one of our dogs.

Will keep you posted, Jupiter is still not eating by herself and I know she must be hand fed but am afraid of stressing her out to where we lose her!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:04 pm

This person is from Sydney. Maybe your vet can contact their vet? They posted recently:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 77#2265777

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:33 am

So glad to hear Jupiter is doing a little better and hope she keeps improving. I really hope you find a vet that might prescribe heart meds--I don't understand why many are so reluctant to do it. Our cuy did that same gasping thing when he got scared or stressed but it would usually stop when we got him calmed down. We were advised to get him checked for heart problems based on this gasping. Our vet thought he likely had fluid built up on the heart that was causing it to press on the lungs making breathing difficult. She didn't want to do any imaging because she thought that would likely stress him too much, which we agreed with, so we opted to go straight to medication, which did help.

He did have a gasping attack that didn't pass and he was starting to lose color in his lips and ears. We rushed him to an emergency vet where they put him on oxygen and gave injections of furosemide. He seemed a lot better at the vet, but by the time we got him home, he had started gasping again. If I had to do it over again, I might have waited a little longer at the vet with him breathing room air to make sure it wasn't going to start up again.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:24 am

Thanks for the reply CavyDad. Sorry to hear about your Cuy.

Jupiter has started eating a little more, watermelon rind, rockmelon, carrot, spinach leaves and she is nibbling at the pellet bowl today.

What she was NOT impressed with was the first dose of Baytril! She so hated the taste and took her a while to stop shaking her head. Hoping she continues to improve. Thanks to all who replied. Will keep you posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:42 am

For what it's worth, years ago I would draw the Baytril dose and then draw a tiny bit of jelly into the syringe.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:20 am

Thanks for the reply Lynx. Jupiter went back to the vet today and saw Carol. Everything checked out except for on her right side of abdomen she felt what she described as a bunch of grapes only much much smaller.

She thought these might be Ovarian cyst. She wants to see Jupiter again Monday with her biological sisters Jaffa and Jill for comparison as Jill is round like Jupiter whilst Jaffa whilst same weight as Jill is more slender.

Does anyone on GL think it is cyst? Would love opinions. Thanks again for the replies. She is still not eating as she use too. Just grass, cucumber, sometimes cherry tomato and that is it. We're force feeding 6 times a day 3mls each time.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:30 pm

Praying for you all, daisymae.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:31 pm

With a broken heart sweet little Jupiter passed at 5.55am today being Sunday the 5th.
Ian got her out around 1.30am she was asleep so when he grabbed her she became stressed. Then I went to grab her at around 5.00am she was doing a lot of jerking with her head. She did not want to be syringe fed she seemed to be a little floppy and struggling to walk. Ian put her back into her cage.

Then we syringe fed Jasmine and Jan, half way through Ian checked on Jupiter and you could tell she was going.
We have her in the fridge, once the autopsy is done we will get her taxidermied so she is always with us. A sweet little pig only 2 years old, we NEVER expected this at such a young age.
I will write more later my eyes are full of tears. If only an autopsy had been done on Jemma we might of had a good idea what Jupiter had.
I HATE our vets! We honestly thought she was getting better as she had no had an attack for a while but no such luck!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm so sorry.

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:04 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Jupiter. You and your herd will be in our thoughts during this difficult time.