Piggy rearranging her cage

Elliemay

Post   » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:53 am

We have had our piggy for almost a year now. She has had the same cage with the same fleece, liner and house. Recently, she has started pulling up the fleece from the cage floor and removing litter from a tray we have for her. Should we be concerned about this behavior? We are wondering if she is upset about something or possibly bored?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:20 am

She could be bored. Have you thought about getting her a buddy? Guinea pigs are herd animals, and they're MUCH happier with another pig in the cage.

OurMissEllie

Post   » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:31 am

How old is your piggy and do you notice anything else different about her?

Elliemay

Post   » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:53 am

We have considered getting her a buddy and are working on that. She is about 1 1/2 to 2 years old we think. We adopted her from another person who was unable to keep her so she has been a lone guinea for quite some time now. Otherwise there are no other different behaviors we have noted.

skinnypigriver

Post   » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:02 pm

Bored, definitely. While waiting for a friend, you might try some toys. Mine like willow balls and slices of loofah. They're "chew toys" but the girls throw them around like balls and wheels, it's pretty fun to watch, at least.

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:16 pm

When you say you have litter in a tray, you don't mean kitty litter, right? Kitty litter should never be used around guinea pigs as they could ingest it and it could cause intestinal blockage. But I'm sure you must mean like aspen or pine (or a paper pulp bedding).

Some pigs just like shoving things around. Like to test their own strength or see what they can move. Still, a friend would be great. See if there are any reputable rescues in your area that can help you find a good match for your single pig.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:29 am

You might find some ideas here.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =8&t=74393

And, even the most pampered pigs love to rearrange the cage. Some more than others, as they seem to have the genes of an architect, lol.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:28 am

My Scatter certainly does and he has a cagemate. He happily shoves everything he can push.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 pm

My guys like to tip their cabanas occasionally and toss their pillows around. It could be boredom. However, any behavior that is new, could be a red flag. Sometimes this type of behavior is due to frustration or pain. I would keep a close eye out for any signs of illness and weigh her regularly.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:19 am

I haven't had my pugsfor long, but I made them a stuffed animal. When they are not sleeping on it they like to drag it around and through it around their cage. I also have tunnels I made out of cardboard rolls (they are cut long ways) plenty of chews and a willow ball filled with hay. Through all this though they love the stuffed animal best... we after food that is. I've noticed the large cage helps too. I have two pigs though so they definitely seem happy with a buddy

3_lil_piggies

Post   » Tue May 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Every time I clean the cage I rearrange the "furniture" just a little bit. For example, move one pigloo to a different corner and move the tunnel my daughter made to another area. We also toss in a new "toy" such as a paper towel tube stuffed with hay or a willow ball. The piggies explore every corner with excitement!

They push their pigloo around sometimes too. Funny creatures. ;)

Guineapun

Post   » Tue May 02, 2017 11:08 pm

My girls love to redecorate. They're always pushing and tossing things around.